Chapter Four - When it kicks in

My heart races as if I’m about to perform in front of the entire school; as if I’ve just run a half marathon. But of course, I’ve done neither of these things. I’m simply sitting in my car, graded quizzes in hand, trying to manage to go and give them to Henti. I now know that he has a planning period first, and he knows I have an off. He’s probably wondering why I’m late with his papers. He probably thinks I either didn’t do them, or am out at starbucks buying more coffee.

I finally pull the keys from the ignition and force myself out of my little white honda. As I walk into the building, I feel my whole body tense up. try to tell myself to calm down. “Don’t make such a big deal out of it.” But naturally, every step I take towards his classroom, builds me up even more. By the time I make it to his door, I have to take a moment to catch my breath, before I walk in as if everything is fine.

“Hi Mr Henti.” I say with a confident smile forced on my face. “I have your quizzes.”

“Ah, Ms. May.” He says standing up walking to meet me. He grabs the papers and lightly flips through them. “I assume you had no other problems?”

I shake my head smiling. “None but the one I asked you about.”

He places the papers on his desk to which he leans casually against. His eyes pry their way into mine with a smile. “So what did you give him?”

I lean against one of the empty student’s desks. “95%, though he got a 80 on the multiple choice.”

He shakes his head laughing. “You should’ve given him a 60 if you ask me.”

“But if you recall Mr Henti, it was you who asked me to grade them.” I shoot him the first honest smile I’d given him since the night of conferences. He can tell as he chuckles to himself.

“That is true. I have to say, it was nice not having to grade them. If you don’t mind me asking, why did you agree with him so much?” His expression gets slightly serious and curious as he places his hands on either side of him.

I look at the window behind him for a moment both to phrase my words, and let go of the eye contact momentarily. “I personally think the “ideal love” shouldn’t be something seen as unattainable. This is why I took sociology rather than psychology. Sociology can be assumed, but isn’t a 100% for all people. Psychology, not only needs for there to be an explanation for everything, but it must apply to everyone.”

He shifts his weight giving me a confused look. “An explanation for everything?”

“Love can’t just be love with psychology. It’s got to be the combination of commitment, intimacy, and passion. An explanation. They couldn’t just leave love as love.”

“What if explanations help us understand?” He asks with a smirk on his face as if he’s enjoying this discussion. I on the other hand am struggling not to think back to my little day dream from the night before. It’s slowly drawing comparisons to our conversation now.

“Are you honestly saying that if you assume these are true, then you can completely understand love? That you can understand what causes the intimacy and passion?”

“Well no..” he starts but I cut him off. He smiles as I do.

“Love is not a formula.”

He sits there, leaning against his desk thinking about what I’ve just said. He gently taps his fingers against the edge as he stares somewhat blankly at me.

“I should make you grade quizzes more often.” He stands up fully and walks around to his desk. He doesn’t look up as he begins looking through papers. “That’s quite the defence you have for me there Ms May.” Jesus just call me Marry. He pulls out a clipboard of papers as he freezes in his movements. He places the clipboard down gently and slowly walks over to me.