Circus Time (MysteriousDryad)

The big day was only a couple of hours away and nerves kept me up all night. I didn't want to keep tossing and turning in my bed so I went around and made sure everything was in place. This was my first circus as the coach and I didn't want anything to go wrong.

The animals were locked up in the cages. I really hated using wild animals for circuses but they seemed to be the main attraction for most, but I never used a whip on them. I was able to coax them and have them do what I ask of them quite easily. Thanks, Mom!

The tightrope was secured nice and triple knotted to the giant poles, I didn't want anyone getting injured on my account. I couldn't fathom how my tumbler could go up that high and do her tricks, but she assured me that I had nothing to fear when I hired her.

It seemed that walking around, making sure everything was in place drained my energy and I barely made it back to trailer before I collapsed. It wasn't until I heard a loud, annoying banging on my door that interrupted my dreams.

"Who is it?!" I yelled. I didn't want to face anyone this early in the morning, and if it was who I thought it was, I really didn't want to deal with this confrontation.

"Lizzy you need to get your arse up! It's an hour till showtime!" Groaning, I yelled a quick thanks before I headed to the loo where my digestion got the best of me.

Taking only a couple of minutes to get ready and wake up, I was ready to run the circus. Stepping out of my trailer, it was like a pack of honey bees buzzing around doing a bit of everything. I was surprised that I slept through this because they were awfully loud.

I ran across the street to where the tent was standing nice and tall, and I could already see family and friends piling in. Nodding my head, I went over to the concession stand, making sure there was plenty of food. I already knew this was gonna stir my audiences digestion, and I was satisfied when I saw it filled to the brim.

"Couple seconds to show time ladies and gents! Let's get this show on the road!" My right-hand man hollered to everyone and looked at me, causing me to blush slightly.

"You'll do great Lizzy! We believe in you! Now let's show this crowd what we are missing alright?" He smiled at me and I could see it reached his eyes so I returned the smile, feeling my confidence zoom.

"Start the first act and get the crowd up before I enter please and thank you!" Again, he smiled before he nodded and went to do what I asked of him.

A few minutes had passed and I could hear the audience clap and shouting, deciding then and there to enter. Of course, just my luck, I tripped while getting on stage, and silence filled the room. When I got back up with a wide smile on my face, the energy returned. Though one audience member took it upon himself to yell clumsy at the top of his lungs but I just ignored him, I wasn't going to let that dude get me down on my first circus!

Everything went according to plan with very little incident and I was truly grateful for how it went down. I knew then and there that I wanted to keep this job and prove that circus performers were people too and that females could run the show.

There was one last thing I had to do before I closed up shop, so I hurried back to my trailer and reached for a pen and paper. I wrote a short but meaningful letter to my mother for encouraging me to do this and thanking her for everything she has done for me.

I sealed it up nice and tight and set it on my end table where I would send it out tomorrow. Sending a quick prayer to the skies above, I hit the sack and fell asleep with gratefulness heavy in my heart.

© 2019 All Rights Reserved Mysterious Dryad