Chapter Thirteen: Gilbert

I love you, Anne. I have since I laid my eyes on you, and I always will love you. Be mine, will you? Stay with me forever, never leave my side, kiss me for eternity.
For some reason, these words don't come out. I'm staring at Anne, although I don't mean to, and I'd hate to scare her off.
"Is everything alright, Gilbert?" She asks. I nod, and then shake my head as if trying to be rid some unwanted thought.
"Sorry, I haven't cleared my mind in awhile." She smiles that endearing smile, and my heart races all over again. I love you... I shake the thought away. Too soon.
"Oh, my mind is never clear. In fact, I'm very rarely not using my imagination."
"Oh, doesn't Avonlea know it." I aim a grin at Anne, and she looks up at me as she interlocks her fingers with mine.
"I need to get home," she says.
"You're right. It's nearly dark. I'm sorry. Do you have your apples?" Anne holds up her basket, a large quantity of juicy red apples filling it.
We start off, her hand in mine. It's a momentous occasion. Everything has happened in just one day. I'm very lucky. But Anne? It feels as if she is mine although I know that it's all happening too fast. One moment she's in my arms and the next I'll be waving goodbye as I head off to Queens. I shudder the thought away, and place my arm around Anne. She looks up and matches her gaze with mine. Butterflies in my stomach flutter about. This is true love. We will get married someday. I just know it.