Part 4

A slight squeal echoed from behind the counter as they walked in, and the barista behind it looked like she was about to vault herself over.

"Zelda! Is that a boy?"

Zelda burst out laughing. "I'm pretty sure."

"Is he a friend? Or is he-" She almost seemed to buzz with excitement.

She turned and winked at Link. "Well, I'm hoping for more, but I suppose we'll start with coffee."

Link let out a sigh of breath as she pulled him towards the counter. "By Din, how do you do that?"

She smiled. "It's my sparkling extroverted personality. Truly prized among some circles and despised by others," she said cheerfully.

"How could anyone despise you?"

"Ooh, that was good," she said, then turned to the girl behind the counter who watched them with rapt attention. "I'll take a white chocolate frappuccino with raspberry syrup."

"Shall I put the syrup in the shape of a heart?" the barista asked with a giggle.

Zelda rolled her eyes, then turned back to Link. "What would you like?"

"Uh... Just a black americano, iced."

She blinked, then started to laugh. "Alright then, I hope you enjoy your bitter brew," she said, then she pulled them away from the register and to a table.

"Wait but..." He looked with confusion from the register to the table.

"Oh don't worry about it, I have a tab here."

He reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet.

She put out her hand and gently pushed his back down. "Nope, I dragged you here, you don't need to pay me."

"Isn't the guy supposed to pay for the girl on a date?"

"Societal construct," Zelda said as she waved her hand. "A way for a man to show he can support the woman. I need no assurance, as I need no financial support from anyone."

There was a pause, and she could see him trying to come up with something. "What... are you as rich as you are beautiful?"

She grinned again, and that made him blush. "As flattering as it is true," she said as she tossed some of her hair behind her shoulder in a falsely nonchalant way. "As the last member of the Harkinian family."

His jaw dropped. "You're -" He yanked his hand out of hers as he stood up. "You're the heir of the old line?"

She shrugged and didn't allow any hurt at the situation to enter into her movements or expressions. It was usually always the same. Shock, reverence, disbelief, jealousy... Whatever. It wasn't like she was all that different from anyone else. Just had the blood and inheritance of kings.

He licked his lips again and then took a deep breath. "You really are as rich as you are beautiful... I didn't think it was possible."

She let out a small sigh of relief. "You used the same phrase again... but it works," she said, even as her face turned a little red.

The barista set down their drinks and then hurried away. Probably to watch them through the pastry display glass.

Zelda picked up her drink. It had a heart sloppily rendered on the whipped cream. She snorted and took a sip.

Link took his own drink and his eyes sparkled as he lowered it. "This is incredible."

"You're welcome," she said with a smile.

He smiled. "Thank you."