Part 8

Zelda grinned all the way home.

Goddess, could he get any more adorable!?

She was almost certain he'd never been kissed before, especially with his reaction to her kissing him on the cheek after the Café. And judging by the way he'd kissed her cheek, that wasn't something he'd done very often either.

What kind of boy didn't kiss his grandmother on the cheek? So sad, really.

Zelda opened the gate and then drove down the driveway. She left the car at the base of the steps instead of parking it in the garage, and then she walked into her house.

It had been her house for the last three years, and she was just beginning to get used to it. To feel like it was really her home. It had been her grandfather's manor, not hers.

She hadn't been there growing up, she'd lived in a country house with her parents until her fourth birthday. They were on their way back to the house when they'd been run off the road... she'd survived in the back seat, they hadn't. After that she was brought up for the most part by an aunt and uncle, along with nannies and instructors.

One by one every family member around her died. Some were accidents, like her parents, others were never proven to one or the other. Homicide, accidents, suicide. Then she was nineteen, and alone.

She wasn't exactly sorry her grandfather had died. Zelda had barely known him, and what she did know, she hadn't liked. But she had never wanted this inheritance.

It brought with it responsibilities she hadn't been trained for. Several times in the last few years she had come to a point of almost selling it. She'd been successfully talked back by her advisor, and the head of the household management.

Over time she'd left more and more of her responsibilities to them. They'd wanted them. They knew she didn't have the training to deal with it anyways. They could probably be stealing from her, but it wouldn't matter to her. She had a personal account, and if she wanted to leave the house to it's servants and never come back... she could.

Yet she never did. She liked the city. She liked the feel of it, the smell of it. She liked the noise and the people. She liked going to school, as tiring as it was.

Liked having friends in the area... The ones that lasted anyway... And she was starting to like the house too. It had gotten better when she was allowed to get a cat. She'd named her Hylia. A luxuriously fluffy white cat, with the perfect personality to live in the large house.

Zelda walked up a staircase and then into her living space. She'd had her 'master bedroom' converted in a space she could fend for herself. There was a small kitchen installed, as well as a full entertainment center. Off of the room was the master bathroom, which had an enormous tub, a big shower, and a closet the size of a small bedroom.

It wasn't even close to full. She preferred to have clothes she wore often, not the one and done lifestyle of the very rich. There was a section for clothes she used to wear on 'special occasions' but she'd since put her foot down on her forced attendance.

The enormous 'master bed' had been replaced with a simple queen sized bed, so she didn't get completely lost in it every morning, and it left more space in the room for a sitting area. She didn't want to use the parlors, they weren't convenient enough. She didn't like having to walk all the way back to her room to get something she needed, instead of taking five steps and having everything within easy reach.

It was like a tiny apartment rather than a master bedroom, and she preferred it that way.

"Master Zelda," a stiff voice came from behind.

"My car will stay at the bottom of the steps, leave me be," she said, and closed the door to block out any protest from the head of staff. There weren't actually that many staff anymore. Without as many people living there, and without usual parties, there wasn't as much need.

Nor was there a need for her to act like a 'Lady of the Court.' She was a modern woman in modern times. In a modern city.

She was going to live as close to a normal modern life as she could get.

The first thing she did was take a long bath, and smile about the day she'd had. A fun and entertaining date, a new and adorable boyfriend.

She really liked Link... she really, really liked Link, and she prayed to the old goddesses that this time her relationship wouldn't be screwed up by her heritage.

After an hour in the water, she got out, got dressed, and plopped down to work on her homework.

Halfway through, her phone buzzed beside her on the couch.

A broad smile spread on her face when she picked it up and saw Link's name.

"I finished my homework."

Aww, that was it? Well, it was a first text... Made sense that it was a little stiff.

"Good! I'm about halfway done working on mine, actually. What are you up to now? Going to play a game?"

"Yeah, I thought about it, but I also thought about... maybe drawing a little."

"What? You draw??"

"Occasionally... I'm not too good, but I enjoy it as a hobby."

"If you ever feel inclined to show it, I'd love to see."

"Thank you, maybe sometime I'll show you. I don't really show people that often."

"Why didn't you mention it earlier?"

"I kinda forgot. I was uh... pretty flustered."

"Oh, I noticed. It was really quite adorable. And I know for a fact you're getting flustered again just reading this."

"Well... Guilty."

"I had a really good time with you today."

"I was a blushing mess, but I had a great time. Thanks again for asking me out... I uh, really appreciate that. I knew I... wanted to go out with you but... I've never really asked anyone out before so I really didn't know how to do that."

"Well first, you walk up to them. Next, you open your mouth and say the words, 'would you go out with me?' and there, you've asked. It's up to them then to agree or disagree."

"Ah yes... So simple. Who am I to believe it's so difficult?"

"Lol, maybe I make it sound too easy. There's some nerves, even for me. I was a little nervous, to be honest. That maybe I'd misread your sleep deprived signs of maybe having a crush on me..."

"Wait, you could tell I had a crush on you? How?"

"Well, you said some obvious things, like 'I just wanted to sit next to you' and you also mentioned how you'd noticed me before and had paid attention when the teacher called my name. And I just kinda got that vibe from you. Especially when you got all flustered about it."

"Apparently I'm pretty good at getting embarrassed."

"You really are. And I'm quite looking forward to making you blush again tomorrow."

"Part of me wants to ask how you intend to make me blush, the other half is... Well, already flustered."

"Hmm, well, I could make you blush by holding your hand and stroking the back with my thumb. I could give you a hug when I see you. I could kiss you on the cheek too. I could poke you on the nose, or I could bump against you with my hips... Do you want me to go on?"

"If you went on, I think I could faint from all the blood in my head, or something. But... Yeah, all of those things would make me blush."

"Well then, I'll certainly make you blush tomorrow."

"Looking forward to it..."