|42| Phuket II

The sun came up shining on the three of us

The sun came up shining on the three of us. We've been in Phuket for a week. The energy between Diri and I was much better. We had a conversation the next morning after my failed proposal. We came to a clear understanding.

Looking over at my two girls laying sleeping, I couldn't do anything but smile.

I stood up, went to the bathroom to handle my business. While I did so, I thought about that morning again after my proposal. Which turned into an amazing day.

****Flashback****

Diri woke me up around five in the morning. She was up and already dressed. Had her hair and makeup done, and everything.

"How long have you been up?" I stretched peeking over at Julia. She was knocked out.

"Since about three o clock this morning." She ran her fingers through her ponytail she had in her hair.

"Why didn't you wake me?"

"I just wanted to stare at you —and prepare myself for this talk. I didn't like how I left you yesterday and came back with nothing to say to you. —As if we didn't just spend the last few months falling in love with each other." She smiled at me.

I made my way to the bathroom, and she trailed behind standing at the door. She could still see Julia from there.

She stared at me through the glass mirror. "I want to talk, open and clear. —I know sometimes we refrain from saying certain things to each other. It's like we tread lightly so we won't stress each other out. I want to have a vulnerable conversation with you. Will you give me a do-over? I didn't mean to come back and not have anything to say."

I was finishing up brushing my teeth. I rinsed my mouth then wiped my face.

"Come on." I grabbed her hand and took us back to the bedroom. We took seats on the floor in front of the mirrored closet. We sat directly in front of each other.

She took a deep breath before she spoke to me. "There's nothing I want more than to share my life with you. When you asked me to marry you, I thought about this year entirely. Hell the last few years of my life even. I've made some poor decisions. My decisions made things harder for myself and now harder for my daughter. I created dysfunction for her. —That breaks my heart every time I think about that." She started tearing up. I got up to get her some wipes for her face.