Vampire

"All done."

Assisting the teen with the palm of my hand, I helped her sit up before turning her around on the table.

"Thank you for donating today," I said with grateful sincerity.

I beckoned a volunteer over to help the girl to our recovery station. "If you hold onto Ms. Bert, she'll get you some refreshments. Thanks, again."

As they left, I bent over to retrieve the newly donated pint hanging from the metal hook by my knees.

"That makes 56 today, Avery," I commented to our head nurse.

"Wonderful, Chelsea," she replied. "I know the Children's Hospital will appreciate these donations."

"True," I answered. "There is nothing better than knowing their lives have been saved by the work we're doing."

"Amen!"

___

Did you know? (Direct Quote to follow)

"Someone needs blood every two seconds...

...One pint of blood can save up to three lives...

...Children being treated for cancer, premature infants and children having heart surgery need blood and platelets from donors of all types, especially type O...

...A patient could be forced to pass up a lifesaving organ, if compatible blood is not available to support the transplant...

...The actual blood donation usually takes about ten minutes. The entire process-from the time you sign in to the time you leave-takes about an hour (Community Blood Bank of Northwest PA and Western NY, 2019)."

Reference:

Community Blood Bank of Northwest Pennsylvania and Western New York. (2019). 56 Facts about blood. Blood Centers of America. America's Blood Centers. Web search 19 September 2019. Website: fourhearts.org/facts /, which sites:

     *Riley, W. et al. (2007). The United States' potential blood donor pool: estimating the prevalence of donor-exclusion factors on the pool of potential donors. Transfusion.

     *The 2005 Nationwide Blood Collection and Utilization Survey Report, Department of Health and Human Services.