believers never die || petekey

au in which pete and mikey are nerdy gen z kids who wanna see sum alien cheeks 😳 in honor of the area 51 raid today

ship: pete wentz x mikey way

~

September 20th, 2019.

It's the night before the day that Mikey and Pete have been waiting for since they first heard about it.

Mikey's skin has been itching for months, brain barely able to focus, fingers anxiously quivering in anticipation. He has plans scrawled through countless notebooks, the pages filled from top to bottom with graphite stains. His search history is stacked with youtube tutorials of self-defense moves and weapons ordered off amazon. He's ready.

Beside him stands Pete, his boyfriend, equally as ready, if not more. Pete has a signature Naruto headband strapped to his forehead, already clingy with sweat. He wears a bulletproof vest, identical to the one Mikey is strapped into. In his hand lies a styrofoam Minecraft sword that he purchased from the Gamestop around the corner. Mikey had tried to convince him to buy a more sustainable weapon, but Pete refused. He grips his diamond sword tight and makes an experimental swing in the air.

Aw man, creeper.

"Stop swinging that thing around!" Mikey complains, dodging out of Pete's reach. "Are you done getting ready yet?"

Pete shakes his head and turns back to his array of supplies on his bed. He carefully picks out a single black eyeliner pencil. "Didn't do my make-up yet," He mumbles to himself as he traces his eyelids.

"Dude, we're going to Nevada. Last I checked, it was pretty hot there. Aren't you going to sweat it off?"

Choosing not to grace Mikey with a response, Pete simply lifts a middle finger. He finishes and sets the pencil back down. "If you think I'm not going to represent MySpace, you must be real fuckin' stupid. The first thing I'm doing when we get out is showing my pet alien Blink-182."

Mikey shakes his head. It's times like these when he regrets asking Pete to Homecoming. Because that one dance had turned into a million other dates, and now he still can't shake the boy off him. But then Pete grins and Mikey remembers why he asked him in the first place.

"Is Gerard ready to take us yet?" Pete asks.

Mikey nods and yells upstairs to his brother. Gerard emerges, red eyeshadow smeared all over his face.

"If y'all get killed I'm not coming to your funeral."

~

The car rolls to a stop around 2 a.m. Gerard shakes the two boys awake. "Get out. We're here."

They tumble out, each gripping a backpack that is loaded to the brim with stockpiled supplies. Pete raises his high on his shoulder, eager at the adventure awaiting him. On his side, Mikey struggles to even lift his pack, already terrified at what awaits them.

A gunshot rings out across the vast Nevada desert and they both freeze.

They got one of the raiders.

Mikey's first instinct is to climb back inside the car, but Pete starts running, Naruto-style of course. He pulls his sword from his bag as his pace quickens. Mikey runs after him and grabs his arm, pulling him back. "You're gonna die!"

"I want to see the aliens!" Pete yells, wrenching his arm away, getting closer and closer to the military base. They run by a sign that warns them they're trespassing military property, and neither slows down.

A bullet hole appears in the sand by Mikey's feet and he stops following Pete. Backing away, he raises his hands in surrender. It was supposed to be a meme. He didn't want to die.

In front of him, Pete is still running, while more bullets bury themselves in the sand. He waves his sword and manages to get a hole shot in it. Fuck.

He's nearing a building when a burning pain develops in his side. He reaches down and finds slick blood staining his T-shirt. Losing his balance, he falls, tasting dirt.

~

Mikey stands near the edge of the perimeter. It's been hours. He watched Pete go down, but he can't bear to get closer. At first, he reassured himself that it was a simple fall, that he'd be up and running again momentarily. But then the minutes had passed without even a single movement.

He considers going back to Gerard and telling him what had happened. His feet seem stuck in place though, and he can't find the will to pick them up and walk. He glances down and wipes away a single tear.

When he looks up again, Pete is standing in front of him, bruised and bloodied but still alive. The dark-haired boy wipes some blood off of his sword and grins, holding up a small creature. "I got my pet alien, Mikey."

"I-I thought you were d-dead."

Pete shrugs and pets his alien. "Believers never die. Now let's go show this fucker some Blink-182."

~

saw a video on twitter of some kid naruto running behind a reporter lmao what a legend we stan

also yes im posting this at 7 a.m when i should be getting ready for school oops