Chapter 3

Vlad didn't come out of his room for dinner, which only raised Danny's suspicions even as he ate his slices of ham, but he knew he couldn't just walk in on the guy in his room especially with the toad-butler ghost lurking around, whom Danny soon learned was named Bufo. The ghost stayed out of sight, but Danny could still sense him.

Which is why he waited until he was alone in the guest room late at night to finally transform into Phantom and sneak in. Danny managed to get in unnoticed but when he got there, Vlad was just sleeping in his bed and sleeping with a little Maddie doll in his arms.

'Eww,' Danny thought as he cringed. 'But other than that, nothing weird here.'

The half ghost boy decided to call it a night and just went to sleep in the guest bed. When he was tucked in, the softness of the sheets and the subtle smell of lavender in the sheets was enough to send the boy into a deep sleep. For the first time in what felt like months, Danny had a deep and restful sleep and he was dreaming too.

Vlad Masters was standing at the side of the bed, looking over the boy. The thought alone should have been enough to make the boy jump in defense... but there was something wrong... or different in this case. In Vlad's eyes, there was no hint of villainy or malice, instead, he looked ashamed and maybe remorseful? A then, ever so gently, the man reached out with one hand and ruffled Danny's raven black hair. It was surprisingly nice and creepy at the same time, especially when his hand traveled down to the teen's cheek. Then, out of nowhere, something heavy pushed against Danny's stomach and he woke with a start.

Danny gasped and saw a white blob on his sheets. Only half awake, Danny jumped out of bed, scaring the white thing away under his bed.

"I'm going ghost!" the teen said. The white halo appearing at his body center and he transformed into Danny Phantom.

The door to the halls opened, it was Vlad in his robe and Pajamas.

"Daniel, what is going on?" Vlad said questioningly.

"I'm stopping whatever it is you sent in here to get me," Danny answered.

"What are you talking about?"

"Whatever this is!"

Danny used his ghost powers to lift his bed off the ground to reveal... a plump white cat. The teen's eyes widen in surprise as he looked at the shaking feline.

Vlad quickly gathers the cat into his arms and looks at the half ghost boy sternly.

"Honestly Daniel, I realize you feel the need to see me as the villain, but do you really think I would attack you in your sleep? And with a cat no less." Danny stuttered but Vlad cut him off before he could speak, "I don't want to hear it, just put the bed back down before you hurt yourself." When the teen just floated there, Vlad repeated firmly and pointing towards the floor. "Down,"

Danny stayed silently as he lowered the bed slowly back in place.

"Good," Vlad said. "But it's too early for your paranoia, so, go back to sleep little badger and do try to relax I'll see you later." Vlad left with his cat before Danny could speak and closed the door behind him.

Danny floated back down, transformed back into Fenton, and then crawled back into bed. He felt tired but he felt kinda embarrassed too. He got worked up over a cat. Of all the things in Vlad's house, it's the lonely guy cat that gets the ghost boy to jump. Danny could feel the blush on his cheeks and he silently prayed to God that no one outside this mansion finds out what just happened.

Eventually, Danny fell back asleep, but it wasn't as pleasant as before and he woke up again a few hours later. Danny got dressed and went down for breakfast only to find out that Vlad wasn't going to join him again. Apparently, Vlad still wasn't feeling well, at least that's what Bufo said.