day4 (mark)

you all are running. running down the path that you first came from to get away from the walkers. you have to shake them off first.

mark is on your back, clinging hard. you can hear him sniff and you suddenly feel like another whole boulder just came crushing down on your back.

you can't feel it literally but it weighed down on your conscience. it's pushing you down. it's so heavy. it's going to make you fall.

the guilt.

the pain.

it is so much to bear just to even think about it.

your mind flickers back to the scene that had happened a few minutes ago.

jaehyun yelling. jaehyun yelling for help, for mercy. for someone to save him from those monsters that were going to tear him apart. you know he needed the help, you know you could've done your part.

but, you left.

you turned your back and ran.

you could've helped.

but, mark. you swore to stand by him and this is what happens.

the world is this cruel. you will always end up taking a side and suffer the path it will lead you to.

you can only bear with it.

you feel tight at your chest. so tight it's painful.

air is hardly flowing in your lungs as you run, trying to catch up to johnny in front. your feelings aren't making things any better.

you breaths become wheezes soon enough and your legs are crying out as they burn under this excruciating exercise.

❝john!!❞:yuta

your breathless, weak voice cries out. it sounded frail, like thin glass about to shatter under a breeze.

he hears you and turns around, halting. you soon do the same, clumsily tumbling a bit with your legs as you stopped.

johnny jogs to your side and quickly takes over to carry mark, sensing your great exhaustion as you heave in much needed air.

sweet, sweet oxygen fills your lungs. and then, it daunted on you.

jaehyun would never breathe like this ever again. no, he's most likely not even breathing by now.

tears gloss your eyes, building up and threatening to fall.

johnny breathes out slowly, his eyes to the ground, grieving. it had to be such a sad day today. such a depressing day. 

he looks up into your eyes and frowns softly. a hand presses comfortingly on your shoulder as you feel the thumb rubbing circles. for once after the incident, your muscles relax the slightest bit and your hands stop shaking. 

you take in a breath and you hear johnny say warmly to you. 

johnny: ❝don't blame yourself, it's not your fault.

you sniff. but it was, wasn't it?

you feel him give you a good pat on the back. you look up and see that reassuring smile. the small hint of pain in his eyes wee still evident but you could sense a tinge of him wanting you to smile back. 

you nod slowly. 

❝i'll promise to feel better about this,❞:yuta 

johnny, being the helpful mate he is, quickly found you guys shelter at a nearby warehouse.

mark gets set down onto the floor as he starts curling up and sighing. you look away. you know why he's doing that. you know what he's thinking.

he's probably also blaming himself for what happened.

what if i had just not run away? he wouldn't have died if i didn't.

you can imagine what he'd say with tears rolling down those youthful cheeks. you breathe out a shaky breath and decide to comfort the boy another time, when you're more prepared for the wave of sorrow to come pouring on you.

for now you just dust the area of the floor and invite the boys over to rest their heads where it's cleaner.

night time soon falls upon you three. you all are sat in a circle with snacks in hands, munching away.

mark:❝thanks, you guys.. for saving me back there.❞

the boy suddenly pipes up among the silence. your eyes turn to him and you see him looking down at the torch, poised upwards so the light hit the ceiling.

he's still sad.

you brace yourself. he's gonna talk about it.

mark: ❝and i'm really s-sorry if you regret it.. to come look for me.. since i- then that happened and-❞

he starts getting choked up with tears and you start feeling it yourself too.

but you don't blame mark. heck no, you care for him and that's why you went to search for him.

❝don't say that. we all came for a reason and we did it, didnt we?❞ :yuta

you flash a small, yet weak, smile.

❝we care for you mark, and so does he. you need to stay strong to show that he didn't come all the way just for tears.❞ :yuta

you suck in a big breath. you feel your big brother energy radiating wildly through your body right now.

yeah, jaehyun wouldn't want mark to feel so upset. you knew that.

johnny went on to pat his shoulder before looking up to give you a warm smile.

you guys sleep for night after that short comfort talk.

time skip

you did it, all of you. you made it to the front of the house that you guys made camp at.

you drop onto the floor, exhausted by all the walking but you're glad that you're finally back.

your members run to embrace you and the others. you smile and cuddle in their warmth.

yeah, you'll pull through. alongside your members you're gonna get through this moment just fine.

together, you will

SURVIVE.

end➻

head on to read
the author's note