SHUCK FACE - Not as pretty as you

<<published 3•oct•2014>>

"Woah, woah, woah, Greenie, chill!" A familiar voice yells and the vision of the blurry figure in front of you suddenly clears. Minho is standing at the edge of your bed, hands up and palms facing you in the universal 'calm down' stance. He's scowling at you, and then you realise why.

You're pointing the knife at him.

Immediately, a heat wave attacks your cheeks and you lower your hand. "Sorry." You mutter. "Reflex."

"Shuckin' reflexes. That's no reason to be pointing a knife at me." Minho snatches the knife and stalks over to the bandage table, plonking it back down in its original place. Then he looks at it and picks it up again, slipping it through his belt. "It's not even supposed to be in the infirmary. All weapons are supposed to be returned." He mutters. He's frowning and scratching the back of his neck like he's trying to remember something.

It's so adorable that you can't help but smile. There he stands scowling away, eyebrows furrowed, eyes towards the ceiling, as if he's trying to look right into his own brain. Then he snaps his fingers, causing you to jump. "Ah! Yes. Don't worry about not knowing your name."

You frown, confused.

"It's just gone for a little while. It'll come back tomorrow or the day after. It's the only thing they let us keep here in the glade-"

"__________." You interrupt him.

He raises an eyebrow.

"That's my name." You say again. "__________. How could I not know my name?"

"All of us couldn't remember our names when we got here." He shrugs. "Well you're faster than Thomas then. The shuck took a bash to the head by Gally before he finally remembered his name."

"Ow." You yawn, looking around the dark room. "But I'm still sleepy."

"Too bad, shuck face." Minho smirks. And then he whips the blanket off you.

"Ugh. Shit you." You gripe, climbing out of bed. "What's this shuck business anyway, Minho?" Saying his name is different from imagining it. You like the way it rolls around on your tongue. Minho.

"Well, shuck face," Minho feels around the pocket of his pants and brings out an apple. He polishes it with his sleeve and chucks it at you. "It's self explanatory."

"I have a name." You take a bite of the apple and sigh in delight as the sweet juice from the crunchy fruit hits your tongue.

"I know. Shuck face." He smirks at you, despite your glare.

"Is that like some random swear word?" You stumble over to the door and he catches your elbow when you trip over the ledge.

"Well, shuck face, it's up to you to decide what shuck means. It's just a word. We use it for shuckin' everything."

"Whatever." You mutter, noticing that he hasn't let go of you.
This makes you smile. His warm fingers grasping your elbow dig in as he urges you forward and out of the infirmary.

It's evening already, and a huge bonfire is going on in the middle of the land. Minho grins as you stare at the fire, entranced. "Pretty, huh?"

"Prettiest thing I've ever seen." You murmur. The flames crackle and dance, flickering in the darkness of the glade.

"Not as pretty as you." It's muttered so softly that you almost don't catch it. And even though you do catch it, you don't know whether or not you heard right.

Nevertheless, your lips curl up in a smirk. "What?" You arrow a sly smile at him. "What was that?"

You can't tell whether it's just the crimson glow from the flames that's reddening Minho's cheeks, or he's blushing. "I didn't say anything. Get your hearing checked, shuck face." He growls.