Chapter 7: Kidnapped

That very night at Wayne Manor, the Orphan's Benefit was taking place. A stage had been put up with a giant banner saying "ORPHAN'S BENEFIT".

The garden looked very welcoming with it's balloons and blue cloth laden tables with glasses on top. Balloons had been put up and the pebble patio was surrounded by tables laden with blue table cloths with crystal glasses on top. One particular table also had a beautiful drink fountain surrounded by glasses where people could serve themselves and drink to their heart's content.

Brice Wayne was there, dressed in his best tuxedo. If the Jokester had seen the broadcast, he would most likely be on his way, he hoped that he would have time to catch him. Until then as the benefit's host, he had to keep up appearances and smile. As it was, the people were getting impatient to see Batmunk and he was hoping that he had enough time to give his speech. The supposed toy itself was hidden under a blue blanket on the stage.

Brice's thoughts were interrupted when Nicki Nale dressed in a pink dress and hat went over to him, her camera in her hand.

"Mr. Wayne," she said, "the benefit is such a success, but where's Batmunk?"

Brice cleared his throat nervously. "He'll be here soon," he replied. Then he saw the announcer on stage about to introduce him. "Will you excuse me please, Miss Nale."

He walked towards the stage where he saw Happy standing next to the announcer.

"And now", the announcer said, "our host for the evening and most generous benefactor, Mr. Brice Wayne."

The sound of applause echoed through the garden as Brice took his place on stage and Nicki took a snapshot.

Brice then took out a paper that contained his written speech, which as he unrolled it, trailed down the stairs of the stage like a long piece of parchment.

"Better make it quick sir," whispered Happy, "Everyone's waiting for Batmunk."

"I know," said Brice as he tore a piece of his paper off.

"Ladies and Gentleman", he began, "It gives me great pleasure to donate this wonderful new toy."

Even as Brice was talking, the Jokerster's balloon came into view above them.

Happy noticed the grinning Jokester face on the balloon and knew at once who it was.

"Mr. Wayne," he exclaimed, pointing up, "Look!"

The balloon continued to float above them and the Jokerster gave an evil laugh.

"The toy is mine!" he said as he pulled a lever which lowered down a large metal claw from the basket to the very spot on stage where the toy was.

Brice was worried. This wasn't how things were meant to turn out at all. If the Jokester did get the supposed toy, everything would be ruined. Brice rushed over to the place where the Jokester was lowering his hook.

"No!" he cried and as he ran over, the claw picked him up and Nicki as well as she had been on stage to get another picture.

Happy saw them being lifted into the air. "Let them go!" he shouted.

Jokester then saw what was happening. "Drop them! Drop Them!" He shouted, "I want the toy!"

Suddenly the police sirens could be heard in the distance.

"Okay, forget the toy", Jokester said to his three clowns, "We've got something just as good: Brice Wayne". He gave a nasty chuckle at Brice and Nicki who were still in the claw's grasp and took out a piece of paper and a pencil. He then scribbled on it a ransom note saying: "Tell Batmunk to come to the Amusement Park at midnight with the real toy if you ever want to see Brice Wayne and Nicki Nale again." He then threw it down to the ground below.

"Let's get out of here," he said with another evil laugh. The balloon then floated off into the distance.

Happy caught the paper Jokester had dropped and read it. He was full of fear as Jokester had no idea that his master was Batmunk . How could Jokester's demands be met, when the crazed clown was holding the very person he was supposed to be meeting?

"Oh, what would Mr. Wayne do?" he said to himself.