Chapter 9: The Last Laugh

At Funland Park, the clock finally struck midnight. The Jokester laughed with glee.

"My My My!" he said in a mocking tone, "looks like Batmunk won't be here in time." He then proceeded to pull the lever that activated their ride to fate.

"I know," said Brice still feeling downtrodden by the circumstances of his situation.

Suddenly the shape of the Bat Plane appeared in the sky.

"Look," said Nicki excitedly, "It's Batmunk."

Brice looked in astonishment. "I don't believe it!" He exclaimed. How could this be possible? He was Batmunk! Happy must of somehow managed to activate the Bat Plane. How brave he was!

"Alright Jokester," said Happy's voice from the speaker, " Maybe you'd better uh... well... stop!"

"Batmunk?" exclaimed the Jokester and looked up to see Happy using a harness to lower himself from a hatch in the bottom of the Bat Plane.

"Here I am," declared Happy. However as he went down, he lost his balance and fell to the ground, landing on the TEST YOUR STRENGTH attraction, causing the puck to rise and strike the bell before falling off.

The Jokester laughed as he had never known Batmunk to be so clumsy. "You're losing your touch Batbum", he jeered, "did you bring the toy?"

"No", answered Happy truthfully.

"Then say goodbye to your friends",  said Jokester, pulling the lever, "Ta Ta!"

The cart holding Brice and Nicki sped down the track at lightning speed, they both screamed.

Time was running out for Brice and Nicki. Happy searched frantically for the jet pack button and sped up to the Bat Plane.

The cart continued to roll on, closer and closer to it's destination. Happy steered the Bat Plane to the roller coaster and at the touch of a button lowered a rope ladder.

Brice saw it and tried to grab it, but Happy just wasn't low enough.  "Lower Hap... I mean, Batmunk," he said, trying not to give what Happy was doing away. The Bat Plane missed and the cart continued on it's way.

Happy grabbed the steering wheel and pulled with all his strength to raise the plane, he was determined not to fail.

The cart by this time had nearly reached the end of the track and whizzing down even faster now. Again the rope ladder appeared in front of them. Brice was still frantically trying to grab it.

"Almost", said Brice, "a little lower, a little more." 

"We're running out of track!" said Nicki urgently as they could now see the bottom of the broken track in plain sight.

Finally Brice managed to grab hold of the rope and pull himself and Nicki out of the cart to safety just as it hit the ground and broke into a mangled heap.

"We made it", said Nicki thankfully as the reached the Bat Plane's cockpit. "Not a moment to spare", agreed Brice.

Down below, the Jokester and his three clowns had seen what was going on and were now deciding to flee for their lives. Now that Batmunk had saved their hostages, he would now be after them and they would be imprisoned for a very long time.

"Run for it!" said Chuckles. "Every clown for himself!" said Jokester.

Moe, Curly and Chuckles fled in the left direction and Jokester fled to the right, still clutching the bundle with the supposed fake toy inside.

Up in the Bat Plane, the three watched the clown flee. Brice now dressed in a cape turned to Happy.

"Quick Hap... I mean Batmunk," he said, "May I borrow your Bat hood?"

"Okay," said Happy, taking it off his head. Nicki then gave a gasp of amazement.

"Happy," she said, "Are you really Batmunk?"

"Well," replied Happy as Brice was putting the mask on his head and pressing a button to grab some roller blades from a glove compartment, "actually..."

However there was no time for explanations, the Jokester had to be caught and now.

"I'll get the Jokester," said Batmunk, pulling on the roller blades, "you get the three clowns." He then pressed his mouth to Happy's ear. "Use the red button," he whispered before jumping out of the cockpit onto the track of the roller coaster. "Roger!" replied Happy.

Batmunk managed to land on the track safely and sped down to the end of the broken part, doing an aerobatic twist through the air to where the Jokester was still running.

The Jokester looked behind in fear. Batmunk was coming for him and he needed to get away fast. 

Floating down using his cape, Batmunk landed right on top of the crazed clown. "Anyone for bowling?" asked Batmunk as his roller blades hit Jokester in the back and knocked him down one of the lanes of the bowling attraction. Jokester flew down the lane like a bowling ball, knocking down each and every pin.  A screen then lit up saying WINNER. Batmunk had got a perfect strike.

The costumed crime fighter then walked over to the now dazed Jokester.

"He who laughs last, laughs best," said Batmunk with a grin, "eh Jokester?"

"You win Batmunk," said Jokester, looking mournful, "but before you take me in, tell me where's the real toy?"

Batmunk picked up the bundle that Jokester had dropped beside him. "Right under your nose," he replied.

The Jokester couldn't believe his ears. Batmunk had tricked him again! He had gone though all of this trouble for nothing and once again been made a fool of. In a rage, he fell down and beat the lane floor with his fists. "No! Noooo!" he screamed.

Batmunk then lifted him to his feet, snapped a pair of Batcuffs on his wrists and led him away.

Meanwhile Moe, Curly and Chuckles had been caught with their hands up between a wall and the front of the Bat Plane.

"Stay right where you are boys", said Nicki. She then turned to Happy, "Your secret is safe with me, Batmunk."

Happy blushed, if only Nicki knew the real truth.