Prologue

Delaney sat in class, waiting patiently for their teacher to finish speaking. She wasn't paying much attention, but how many five-year-olds did? She was bored with school. She wanted to explore with her friends. She wanted to go on her 'expedition' around the ship and discover 'new life'. She wanted nothing more than to be an explorer.

Miss Larson finally dismissed the rambunctious children and they ran out of the room like rats fleeing from a cat. At least that's what their teacher had compared them to. She had said once, a long time ago, there were animals called cats that chased smaller animals around houses. They even had shows based on them! The kids were able to watch some if they were good.

Delaney didn't like the shows that much. They were old and we're repetitive. Delaney had always wanted adventure, and watching the same cat chase the same mouse was not as entertaining as Miss Larson had made it out to be.

"Race you to Farm Station!"

Delaney laughed and ran after Monty. Jasper and Raven followed her, each of them carrying old backpacks half-full of even older books and devices.

"There!" Raven called, pointing to where Monty was stopped.

He stood beside John as Mrs. Green scolded them. She was Monty's mother, and she did not appreciate the children running around while she was trying to work.

"Go play somewhere else!" She called before hustling back into the busy, humid farm.

John mocked her as she turned away, a sour look on his face.

"Where can we go?" Monty frowned, looking like he was going to cry.

"The school!" Raven suggested.

"I hate school," Jasper complained, crossing his arms.

"Let's go play in the lab!" John's eyes sparkled as he looked down the hall.

Nobody answered him. Instead, they watched down the hall as Finn ran up.

"You're it, Raven!"

He ran past the group and disappeared.

The others all scattered. Delaney laughed as she avoided Raven, running to a descending ramp.

"You're anti-gravity slow!" Monty laughed. His little legs carried him in the opposite direction.

Raven went after Jasper, chasing him down the hall Delaney had chosen. She was farther ahead, though, and approaching the engineering bay.

"Excuse me!" She called, running under and around workers.

Jasper and Raven were close behind her, running through the workers. Delaney climbed through an open pod and turned around to see Jasper and Raven doing the same.

As she turned forward again she ran right into someone.

She fell, landing on her back with a soft thud. When she looked up, Jacapo Sinclair was standing above her. Next to him was her father, arms crossed.

"Sorry, Mr. Sinclair." Delaney got up, trying to avoid Raven and Jasper.

"Not so fast." Marcus Kane, her father, grabbed her arm and pulled her back. As he did, Raven and Jasper ran by. Raven tagged the girl and continued on, avoiding the other workers.

"I said sorry." She whined, looking up at him with a pout.

"Let her play, Marcus." Sinclair insisted, getting back to work.

Delaney nodded in agreement, trying to pull her arm from her father's grip. He knelt down, holding her in front of him.

"You can't play in here, Delaney. Go play somewhere else. Somewhere where people aren't working."