VIII

Delaney set off with Clarke and Finn, the former-grounder leading the way in the dark. They made small conversation, Finn talking about Unity Day and that he'd rather keep hope than be pessimistic. Delaney tried to stay focused on the task at hand. She couldn't go see Anya the way she was now. She knew that looking like a sky person would only make Anya lose trust in her.

"We're making a pitstop. Don't worry, it's close to Lincoln's cave." Delaney announced as she climbed over a fallen tree. Finn gave his approval as he walked next to Clarke. She didn't mind. Clarke was having second thoughts about the whole thing, anyway. A little delay wouldn't hurt anything.

"Delaney?" Clarke called as they lost sight of her.

They had reached her treehouse. Even in the dark, she knew where her home was. Delaney called down to them stating that she'd only be a minute. She was just looking for something in particular.

Delaney lit the lantern hanging in the middle of her house. It lit both the wooden portion and the pod that she came down in years ago. It still sat where it had landed in the tree, only now it was reinforced with wood and scrap metal to ensure it didn't move or dislodge.

Delaney rummaged through a box as she felt the cool blade of a knife against her neck. She instantly froze, the hairs on her arm standing up as her heart hammered.

"Be still and quiet, Haiplana. I don't look for trouble." His voice was soft as he pulled the knife away.

Delaney couldn't help but smile. She could recognize his voice, even in a whisper. She turned around to hug Roan, falling short when she noticed the dried blood on his face.

"What happened to you, Roan?" She asked, fumbling around for a rag and the bucket of water. She raised it to his face but he only pushed Delaney's hand away.

"Not now. Your sky people are waiting for you." Roan moved to sit in the pod, groaning slightly as he did so. "I was hoping to seek shelter here."

Delaney dropped the rag next to the bucket and turned back to her rummaging. "Stay as long as you like."

"Are you almost done, Delaney?" Clarke called, starting to climb the ladder.

"I will be right down, I promise!"

Delaney peeled the old, tattered shirt off and dropped the jeans to the floor. She ignored Roan's gaze, trying to hurry while her friends waited. They had a mission to accomplish. The girl pulled on the reinforced pants she usually donned and her favorite cropped black shirt. Delaney snatched her favorite jacket, a floor-length hooded and sleeved cloak, off of a hook before heading back towards the ladder.

"Do not trash my home, Roan. Take care." She whispered before disappearing back into the night.

Delaney landed on the ground with a small thud, straightening out her jacket as she looked to Clarke and Finn.

"Ready to go?"

"You needed a wardrobe change?" Clarke raised an eyebrow.

"This is an important meeting. You were right when you believed I had 'pull' with my people. However, that pull disappears if it looks like I'm completely one of you. She won't trust me if I'm dressed as an outsider."

Delaney pulled the fingerless leather gloves out of her pockets and put them one. She fastened them to her wrists and then pulled her hair over her shoulders.

"So you are all mighty and powerful." Finn mused. "Lincoln said you were perfect to help us. Something about blood queen or-"

"You've spoken with Lincoln?" Delaney turned to him as she started braiding part of her hair. "After he stabbed you?"