XXI

"Fox, we can't just sit here and do nothing."

"Maya and Bellamy told us to wait. They've got a plan."

Delaney paced through Maya's room, ignoring the pink walls and dolls sitting on one of the shelves. The bright and happy nature of the room was really not helping Delaney feel better about leaving all of their friends up there.

"Stop pacing, Delaney. It does no good."

"It helps me think." Delaney countered, walking from the door to the far wall, door to far wall, over and over again.

"It isn't going to help any of our friends."

"No, but you can. Let's go." Maya's dad opened the bedroom door, motioning for them to follow.

Delaney was skeptical at first, but after a moment she nodded and Fox followed. They left the room, following Maya's dad out into the hall and toward the stairs.

"Where are we going?"

"We're meeting your friends at the trash chute. I've commissioned some other families to help hide you all."

"Viva la Revolucion." Fox smiled. It made Maya's dad laugh.

"Yeah, that's what I said. So let's get your friends and get up here. And don't worry, all the cameras have been deactivated now."

"Good. Let's get to it."

Maya's dad was right. Once they got down there, the rest of the kids slid down the trash chute one by one. They all exchanged hugs with Fox and Delaney, gathering near the chute as they waited for the others to finish sliding down. Once everyone was out Bellamy and Maya's father led the group, bringing everyone back upstairs. Jasper and Delaney were right behind them. Jasper had his gun at the ready and Delaney held on to a knife one of the kids brought down.

"So where exactly are we going?" Jasper asked, looking skeptical.

"We're splitting up."

"No offense, Bellamy, but that's a stupid plan. We do this together." Monty complained.

"No, Bellamy's right. We're harder to find if we all split up."

"Well Maya can't hide all of us," Miller complained. "Who's gonna help us?"

"We're way ahead of you." Maya smiled as she led a group of mountain dwellers into the hall. "They're going to take you."

"Follow us. We'll split you up along the way."

"We're staying with you, Bellamy."

"No, you're not." Bellamy set his jaw as he looked down at Delaney. Jasper and Monty stood behind her. "They still don't know I'm here. I need to keep it that way."

"Then what do you want us to do?" Monty questioned.

"Stay alive. Keep everyone hidden and safe for as long as you can." Bellamy nodded. "A war is coming. We need to be ready for it."

Delaney shook her head but listened anyway. She, Monty, and Jasper all followed the rest of the group while Bellamy broke off to continue his fight. He nodded to Delaney as he left and she gave him a mock salute before he completely disappeared.

Delaney turned and followed the others, shaking her head at herself. Before they landed on the ground she wouldn't blindly take orders from someone, especially from a boy with a hero complex. Especially from a boy. She wouldn't have fought her own people over a few kids she barely knew. She wouldn't have done any of it. And Delaney definitely wouldn't have been caught and held captive in the mountain. That she was sure of.