XIV

Everyone was equally confused when only Raven and Murphy were in the dropship. Abby and Kane had gone in with a few other soldiers while Delaney, Finn, and Bellamy were expected to wait outside the walls.

Bellamy and Finn nodded to each other, booking it away from the guards. Delaney pulled on the reins, making the horse rear up and block the guards from following or even seeing that the two went through a foxhole.

Eventually one of the soldiers cleared them to go on and the two who were meant to guard the children led Delaney into camp. Her eyes took in the battlefield. Ashes and charred corpses covered the ground. Kane was helping Murphy out of the dropship and her blood ran cold.

"Bellamy! You're, uh, you're alive!"

"Murphy, you murdering some of a bitch!"

Bellamy was on him, knocking him away from Kane in an instant. He sent punch after punch, pummeling Murphy into the dropship ramp.

Delaney descended from the horse, limping toward them as the guard tased Bellamy.

"Place him under arrest." Kane nodded toward Bellamy.

"You don't understand!" Delaney's hoarse voice cut through. "Murphy killed two of our own. He tried to hang Bellamy."

Delaney stopped in front of the two. Bellamy now had handcuffs binding his wrists and Murphy was sprawled on the ground, blood covering his face. She looked up from her old friend to her father, taking in his features. Kane held her gaze, trying to find a way to explain what had to happen.

"We have rules, laws. We aren't savages like the grounders. You aren't in control here anymore, Bellamy."

"Dad, please-"

"Give us a minute." Kane waved away the guards, Bellamy, and Finn. They made their way out of the charred camp as Kane started walking toward the side of the dropship.

Delaney followed as Kane stopped walking. He turned around, enveloping his daughter in a hug.

Delaney hugged him back, burying her face in his chest. She wrapped her arms around his torso, trying to hold back her sudden tears. They surprised her. Delaney hadn't cried in a long time. She cried when she was held as a prisoner by the 100 and the last time before that, well, she couldn't remember.

"I thought you didn't recognize me." She sniffled.

"I thought you were gone." Kane pulled away, holding his daughter at arm's length. "Fourteen years and you still haven't grown out of that hair."

Delaney laughed, wiping the tears from her cheeks. She watched as Kane's happy expression turned into a pained one.

"I'm sorry this happened to you. You shouldn't have been in this position. Living down here with these people. It has to have been horrible. Look what they've done to you!"

Delaney shook her head, looking up at her father. "No, Dad. These people- they only fought me now because I fought them. Before the hundred fell they treated me like royalty. They aren't bad people."

"They poisoned you. They killed your friends."

"I killed my friends. I betrayed my friends. My friends, down here, on the ground. They were just defending themselves as much as we were."

"Kane, we're losing daylight! Abby's ready to go!" One of the guards called, cutting their talk short.

"We'll discuss this later, alright?" Kane hesitated before he kissed the top of Delaney's head.

She smiled and nodded, but the smile didn't quite reach her eyes. Delaney has spent countless hours imagining seeing her father again. Although those dreams had long since ceased, none of them went like this. There wasn't an awkward presence that hung over the two. There were no differences or disagreements when Delaney pictured reuniting with her father. But that was what happened when fourteen years and thousands of miles separated people.