Chapter 4

As we made our way closer I managed to get a better view they were all crowding around the barrier looking into the forest, glancing over the group I tried to get an insight into who these people are. The first one to notice me was a man with dark brown hair he was muscular and as soon as he caught sight of me he went on high alert staring me down however he didn't seem threatened by me at all. There was a strange feeling that I knew the man though I couldn't put my finger on who it was. Slowly, he made his way over to me which put Daryl on edge, he acted instantly pushing me behind him keeping a firm grip on my wrist to make sure that I wouldn't try and stop him.

"I know you. You were at the hospital." A familiar voice said calmly as he stared in disbelief, then it hit me who was standing in front of me. This was the friend of the gun shot victim I stared with wide eyes giving a small nod, but Daryl didn't see to be pleased that this guy knew me tensing up slightly.

"Daryl" I said in a soft voice as I moved my other hand to rest gently on his shoulder causing him to take his attention away from the group to look at me his eyes softening instantly. I tried to reassure him with a look however he still seemed hesitant, letting go of my wrist he he let it fall to my side.

"Wait you know this guy?" Another voice cut in, looking past Daryl I saw an Asian guy in a cap with a confused look on his face as he switched between the man from the hospital and Daryl. I didn't know which one he was talking to, but in all honesty I didn't care I just wanted everyone to take there attention away from me. "Yeah." Daryl's gruff voice cut through the silence, I stepped out to stand beside him. Look over the of the rest of the groups shoulders, I saw a grey haired women being comforted while she sobbed. The woman suddenly snapped her head up with an angered expression as she stormed her way over to the four of us.

"Why aren't any of you doing anything?!" She shouted completely hysterical, as she looked around at us. "While you three are here arguing my baby is out there!" She added, what was happening? The first guy was quick to cut in with a reassuring voice. "Don't worry Rick will bring her back" The man took one last glance at me before making his way back over to the group and the woman followed behind him asking him questions still sobbing, I couldn't shake that I knew the name Rick as well.

"What happened?" I asked Daryl with concern in my eyes, something terrible must have happened to make her like that. He turned towards me and was about to answer when the other guy did for him instead. "That's Carol her daughter Sophia got chased by some walkers when the herd came through so Rick went after her," He explained to me briefly as he stared off into the forest for any sign of movement. "Oh I'm Glenn by the way" He added quickly on the end with a small smile as he turned to face me offering me his hand to shake, which I took with a small smile of my own.

"Sam" I said softly, before turning to look at the woods waiting for action I just stared for a while before I felt a being placed on my shoulder getting my attention. I noticed Daryl was standing next to me staring off at a guy next to the RV who had blood pouring down his arms, which caused my eyes to widen and for me to let out a small gasp. "Maybe you can take a look see if you can do anything for him." Daryl said in a quiet voice his hand brushing subtly over the back of mine in a small display of affection. Agreeing with him I followed behind Daryl as he made his way over to the guy keeping close to me once again, when we were close enough the guy looked up at me with a curious look on his face.

"Hi I'm Sam," I said with a nervous smile on my face not being used to talking with other people it also didn't hell that before this I wasn't exactly the most confident person in the world. The guy looked it me still clearly cautious with me being a new comer however Daryl being with me clearly helped the situation. "I'm T-Dog" Offering me a pained smile accompanied by a wince as he gripped his hurt arm causing me to give him a worried look.

"I was a nurse before all this I can help if you would let me" I said softly while fiddling with my fingers for a distraction, refusing to look at him at all. T-Dog's voice brought my attention back to him, causing me to look up at him as he agreed. "Daryl if you go to my truck they'll be a med kit in the glove compartment go grab it for me, please" I asked, which he replied with a nod and a smile as he left to go get what I needed. I set to work kneeling next to him so I could take a look at his wound, gently I took the cloth he had held against it off so I could inspect it.

"Its deep looks like your gonna need stitches for it to heal properly, I could do it if we had the right equipment but we don't here the most I can do right now is wrap it and clean it for you till we find the right tools," I placed the fabric onto the would again applying pressure causing him to wince. "S-sorry but it will help I promise" I quickly apologised to him feeling terrible for causing him more pain, he smiled at me reassuringly. It didn't take long for Daryl to return with the kit before taking off to help in his own way, I got to work cleaning his cut with rubbing alcohol as careful as possible before wrapping his wound tightly to stop the bleeding.

"That should be good for now your going to have to rest it though try to use this arm as little as possible, I know its gonna be hard but its the only way to help right now" I explained to him quickly while putting everything away in my kit again. "It will have to be cleaned at least every two days at the least and re wrapped without stitches if you feel any burning or swelling then come to me, you should take these as well to help with the pain." I added while grabbing two paracetamol from a bottle and handing them to him which he took gratefully taking them, I moved grabbing a bottle of water I kept in here just in case of any emergency and handing it over as well.

"Thanks a lot" He said sincerely after he'd swallowed the two pills with big gulps of water as I began to pack away. "You planning on sticking around? We could really use someone with your skills." I took a moment to think looking over at Daryl staring off into the forest waiting, a small smile formed on my face at the sight.

"I don't plan on leaving any time soon." I told him with a large smile T-Dog was about to ask another question when I caught sight of a man coming up the hill up approaching the road, me and T-Dog instantly got up jogging towards the group. As soon as the guy came into view Carol basically pounced on him asking questions about her daughter, I stared at the man trying to place my finger on where I knew him from. He quickly explained what had happened and how Sophia should be here before agreeing to go out looking for her, Glenn agreed along with the Shane and Daryl which made sense because of his skills. I don't know what it was, but there was something different about Shane I remembered how he was at the hospital and this Shane was different. Rick nodded at the people who volunteered as soon when Daryl agreed I saw him looking at me about to open his mouth to say something when he was cut off by Shane.

"You comin' too Sam?" He asked while making eye contact causing everyone to look at me as if remembering there was a new person added to the group and in Ricks case he stared at me with curiosity probably wondering how this man knew me. "If she's hurt we could really need your help." I was confused as to why he wanted me there, but I guess it made sense in the end looking over at Daryl he was seething. I wonder what Shane did to annoy him so much.

"Yes" I spoke quickly not wanting to be left behind with a group of people that I didn't know. I could tell by the look in Rick's eyes he didn't trust me fully just yet, I mean I wouldn't either if a random person appeared out of no where especially in this world. However, under the circumstances he had no time to question me and it was clear to everyone that Daryl trusted me along with Shane for some reason, which helped a lot. The four of us check our weapons quickly, me choosing to take my hand gun with me just in case of an emergency we set off into the forest on a hunt for the missing girl.