Chapter 14

I woke up to the feeling of Daryl's bare chest pressing against my back as our legs remained entwined. A slight blush coated my face as I remembered the night before, there was a slight ache in my legs and lower back serving as a reminder. Usually, it would have been fine however with being away from each other for so long it had taken a toll on me. Slowly, I glanced back checking on Daryl behind me who was luckily dead asleep behind me, with a little bit of effort I pried his arms away from me before shuffling over to our bags filled with clothes. The amount of things packed away in the two bags wasn't even half of what was still left at their shared home, that is if it hadn't been taken by another survivor. I quickly slipped on a pair of underwear and a pair of skinny jeans along with my boots before I could pick out a top and a groan sounded from behind me causing me to look over to the hunter who was shaking himself awake. With a smile I moved back over to the bed straddling Daryl's waist as he looked up at me.

"Morning baby." I cooed leaning down to peck his lips, the hunter happily returned the kiss with a smile of his own. His eyes wandered down from my face scanning over my naked chest stopping at a certain spot a smirk forming on his face, curiously I looked down my eyes widening when I spotted the purple marks that littered my body. "Daryl." I shrieked turning to look at his amused eyes with a look of disbelief. "How am I going to hide this?"

"Don't you're mine and I'll make sure everyone knows." The hunter sat up placing a kiss to my forehead before lifting me off him and placing me on the bed next to him. Happily, I curled up enjoying the show as Daryl got ready hiding behind the sheets with a smile when he was finished I turned over so he wouldn't notice the staring. A light kiss was placed to my bare shoulder making me humm before turning to connect our lips once again.

"Be safe out there." I muttered against his lips earning a reassuring smile.

"Like I said I ain't leaving you any time soon," Daryl told me as he pulled away picking up his crossbow. I'd wanted to go out with everyone else though Daryl had brought up that I didn't even know what the girl looked like for one and that he didn't want me out there. "Stay out of trouble." The hunter called over his shoulder before he left the tent, I spent most of the day after he left staying in the tent after taking a shower in the house. Thankfully Maggie just gave me a smirk and a nod before letting me. I was laying on my side reading a book when suddenly Andrea shouting from outside caught my attention, I shot up running out of the tent taking my knife with me. I followed the rest of the men as I sprinted behind them out into the field stopping for a second when I saw a beaten and bloodied Daryl, when I went to sprint over to him a gunshot made me freeze. When his body hit the floor it was like a bucket of ice water had been thrown over me, I tried to run to him hoping and praying he was okay only to be held back by Glenn. All I could do was watch and hope though it seemed like God was on my side for the first time in a long time as the hunter groaned before being dragged up to his feet. I let out a relieved sob making him glance up at me with a weak smile before he went limp.

The two ex sheriffs brought Daryl up to the farm house where Hershel could treat him, I stayed by his side the entire time refusing to leave no matter what. I was only focused on him ignoring everyone else around us, once the three men left I got up from my chair moving around to gently pull off his boots.

"What are ya doing?" Daryl asked, I glanced up at him giving a smile before coming around to place a kiss on his forehead.

"I was a nurse that means I look after people and despite how much you argue with me that you don't need it I'm going to look after," I told him as I tucked him under a blanket. "Anything you need I'll get you." The hunter gave a chuckle from where he lay before reaching out to brush some strands of hair behind my ear.

"I love you." His voice was soft and sweet making me melt as I nuzzled into his hand.

"I love you too baby," I told him, smiling like an idiot reluctantly I pulled away. The nickname was something that I'd reserved for special moments like this when Daryl was at his lowest and most vulnerable points, it always managed to make him smile no matter what. "I'll go get you some clean clothes." With one fleeting smile I made my way down the stairs ignoring a few stares I got from the people who were still eating as I made my way out to the tent grabbing a change of clothes for myself and Daryl before jogging back up stairs. Though I was shocked to see Carol leaving the room, the two of us made eye contact before she scurried away leaving me confused though I just shrugged it off slipping into the room.

"Everything okay?" I asked him to sit by him on the bed with a smile, with a bit of effort he moved to sit up taking off his shirt and throwing it off to the corner of the room.

"She was thanking me for going to look for Sophia," A warm feeling bubbled up in me when I remembered the reason he had done this, Daryl had always had a soft spot for kids and before the dead started rising we had even planned to adopt despite Merle's words of discouragement. "Come here." Daryl's rough voice broke me out of it though I quickly obeyed after pulling off my boots, I curled up against his good side avoiding his injuries as he brought his arms around me. A gentle kiss was placed to the top of my head making me smile. "Lets get some sleep Sammy." I just nodded letting myself be leaned back already feeling sleepy.

"I'm meant to be the one looking after you." I reminded him with a pout making him chuckle running a hand through my hair.

"You know you're the one that needs looking after." Daryl teased making me instantly snap up to look up at him with a fake annoyed expression making the other chuckle.

"I don't need to be looked after." I objected, pouting harder only making him grin down at me.

"Admit it you like being babied and looked after, you're needy." Daryl quickly added at the end making me slap his chest. I enjoyed the feeling of a bed underneath me again for what felt like forever. "You don't need to look after me as long as you're happy I'm happy." He whispered into my ear making me smile instantly.

"I love you" I whispered, it was the only thing I remembered before falling asleep to a hand gently running through my hair.