Chapter 10

After Daryl and I said goodbye to one another sharing one last kiss before both T-Dog and Glenn got into my truck making our way down the highway following the directions of where we were going. Eventually, they found the mailbox labelled Greene and Glenn jumped out opening the gate for us all within a few minutes we were pulling up in front of the farm house. The three of us jumped out and I instantly jogged up to the house ready to help however I could in the situation, even though I didn't know how much help I could be when it came to surgery. I'd sat in on practises before and helped out during them, but I was just a nurse not a surgeon. When I climbed the steps I spotted the same girl that was sitting in one of the chairs she turned to me with a small smile before speaking.

"Up the stairs the doors open you'll see it when you come up." She told me and within seconds I was off running up the stairs till I spotted the open door hearing peoples voices coming from inside. Slowly, I walked in seeing Rick and Lori beside Carl's unconscious body there was a man that I didn't recognise either that I guess was Hershel who turned to look at me. I marched over to where he was standing over Carl trying to get a read on what the situation was, as the older man was quick to catch on to who I was probably Rick or Shane told him.

"Did the bullet come through clean?" I asked picking up his wrist carefully to check for the pulse, trying to get a grasp on how serious our situation was. Once I found it the pulse was there though it when I counted it was coming up fainter then it normally should.

"Unfortunately no it broke on entry luckily the deer slowed it down the it'll be an open surgery to remove the pieces individually." Hershel told me with a sigh while taking Carl's blood pressure I thought over the plan really quickly.

"You're gonna need a respirator to pull that off, do you have it?" I asked before moving to check how the blood transfusion was going, making sure the flow was good and everything was connected correctly.

"Shane and Otis are going to get it they should be back with it in a bit." Hershel told me though it didn't look promising, I glanced over at Lori and Rick for a moment.

"Will he last that long?" I asked tentatively feeling guilty though I knew it needed to be done Hershel leaned over lowering the covers to show where the wound was and exposing the boys bloated stomach that was turning an ugly grey.

"If they don't get back soon we'll have a discussion to make." Hershel started though I blocked it out just watching as Carl's chest rose and fell with shallow breaths as I moved to sit on a stool near by watching silently for any kind of movement so I could react without question. I barely registered that Rick and Lori left however I did notice when the girl came into the room with a glass of water as she offered a weak smile.

"I thought you could use this you've been up here for a couple an hour." She said causing my eyes to widen a little at the sudden revaluation, I hadn't even noticed that time had passed in the first place. Hesitantly, I looked away from Carl getting up to grab the glass from her as I grabbed it she extended her hand to me. "I'm Maggie."

"I'm Sam." I offered up my own hand and we shared a smile with each other, I went to speak again but was cut off by the sound of coughing. Instantly, I turned rushing over to Carl's side without a second thought as I let placed the water glass on the side next to the boys bed Lori and Rick rushed in as well watching as their son looked around with terrified eyes. I managed to get him to focus on me as he stared up at me panicking. "Carl its me Sam you remember right from the highway?" He nodded still slightly unsure of me which I didn't blame him for he must have been in a lot of pain. "You've had an accident but that's okay because me and Hershel are going to help you but you've got to be strong for us and your parents can you do that for me?" I asked softly while using the stethoscope that was left on the side to check his vitals as I tried to offer a small smile when he nodded before turning to his parents. They were managing to talk for a bit, it brought a smile to my face that was until everything went silent as Carl froze up I watched as his eyes rolled back into his head as he began to seize. Lori reached forward on instinct to grab him, but I was quicker grabbing a hold of her and pulling her back away from the boy.

"Whats happening to him?" Lori cried out as she fought against me to get to Carl.

"Lori you can't its a seizure you have to let him get through it if you hold him down you'll hurt him." I yelled to her as she sobbed finally stilling in my arms as I let her go. Hershel gave me a nod and I knew it was his way of telling me he had it for now. With that I slowly walked out of the small room heading downstairs to the porch so I could watch for Shane and Otis. Patricia came running out to me after a few moments of just sitting and waiting for any sign.

"They need you Hershel is going ahead with the surgery." She told me as I instantly shot up running back to the room where they had already placed Carl onto the operation table, walking past everyone I picked up the lamp from the bedside table removing the lamp shade and switching it on before positioning it correctly for Hershel to use. The older man chucked over a pair of gloves for me before grabbing his own pair and slipping it on. The sound of a truck pulling up cut me out of everything as we all looked at each other till Rick confirmed that it actually was them.

"Hershel go I'll stay with him." I told the older man sternly as I began to prep everything else for surgery so the kid would at least have a chance. It took a minute for the man to return with everything that we needed and finally we started the surgery.