Chapter 12

I watched as Daryl made his way down the field and through the tree line a small feeling of sadness over taking me as he went out of my sight, even though I knew that the little girl out there needed him more than me a selfish part of me didn't want him out there where he could get hurt. With a short sigh I pushed away those thoughts and turned my attention back to the truck pulling out the tent that I'd found it was bigger then we needed it to be for just the two of us but it didn't hurt to have space. It was a dull grey and I could probably and the label on it told me it was made for families. Quickly, I got to work setting it up near where everyone else was though I did try to create some distance between the main part of camp and our own tent if Daryl had his say we'd be off in one of the fields by ourselves. It wasn't my first time setting up something like this so it only took around ten minutes for everything to be set up as I began to work on the interior making small trips to grab things like the lights I'd found or some of the food. Instead of just the sleeping bags we had I decided to move the makeshift bed in the back seat into the tent allowing us to at least feel a little bit like a home. Once everything was unpacked I slumped down onto the bed with a smile enjoying the space and freedom that came with staying in somewhere like this.

The sound of the tent unzipping caught my attention causing me to shoot up to see who what was happening. Shane stood staring me down from the mouth of the tent as I gave a forced smile though inside I was uncomfortable under the piercing stare.

"Hey sorry to interrupt I just wanted to check up on you." The man told me with a slight chuckle as he crawled inside to sit at the entrance. "I wanted to thank you for helping Carl." Feeling a bit more confident I shuffled closer to where he was sitting, though I still felt uneasy around him.

"Hershel should be the one you thank not me I just helped the surgery along." I said shifting as Shane gave me a smile staring a bit too long, I jumped as a hand came to rest on my knee.

"Um I will but if you need anything while Daryl's gone just come find me." Shane gave a smile and a squeeze to my knee before getting up and walking out.

"What the fuck just happened?" I muttered as I watched him leave.