Wednesday

"TIME TO GET UP!"

Budo woke up from his mother's screams. He ran down the stares, being the first to arrive at breakfast. Slowly, the rest of the Masuta family started coming down. A slightly younger sister, two older brothers, and finally the youngest sibling.

"Mornin'" Budo greeted, smirking at all of the exhausted looks they all wore.

"Pancakes!" They all chirped as they saw the large stack on the counter.

"Wow, thanks for such a lovely greeting." Budo said, full of sarcasm.

"Mornin'!" They all said in unison.

Budo continued to roll his eyes and smile. The house was full of energy as multiple conversations started up at the table. There was never a moment of silence in the Masuta household once everyone was up. 

As everyone talked and laughed, Budo's mind went back to last night. He remembered the family photos framed up in the hallway, how cold and empty that house felt. As he thought about it, Budo's eyes saddened a bit.

"Budo, is something wrong?" His sister, Chiyo, asked with concern.

"Nothing." Budo answered, wearing a fake smile.

Of course, being as close as they were, no one fell for his facade.

"What going on, Budo?" His eldest brother Minoru sighed, joining in.

Budo knew the only way to end this was with the truth, so that's exactly what he told them.

"I was just thinking about a classmate of mine. I went over to their house yesterday to help them with something and it seemed so lonely." 

"What about their family?" Chiyo wondered.

"Only child, parents overseas." Budo stared.

That's when Ms. Masuta finally entered the conversation.

"Poor child. You should invite them over for dinner. Immediately." She suggested, or, demanded almost.

Budo thought about it for a moment. An image of Ayano sitting with his family, wearing a genuine smile was a scene he wanted to create in real life. However, Budo's smile turned into a small frown.

"What is it now?" Ms. Masuta asked, noticing the change in her sons expression.

"I don't have their number." He shook his head, almost as if he felt disappointed with himself.

"Just ask them at school." Chiyo remarked, rolling her eyes.

That's when his eyes widened. "School!" He yelled internally. Budo glanced at the oven clock and saw the time. "It's already 7:55." He read, only having five minutes left to get to school.

He was going to be late.

Shoving one last bite into his mouth, he ran to the door and opened it with much force. The second it swung open, he saw Ayano riding her bike to school. The girl glanced over and slowed down at the site of Budo's panicked face. She soon came to a complete stop and laughed a little bit.

Realizing the current situation, Budo took his chance and ran over to Ayano.

"Um......can I get a ride?" He asked, his cheeks red from embarrassment.

Ayano giggled at the scene and sighed. "I guess this way we'd be even, then I won't owe him any 'favors'" she thought. Looking at the embarrassed boy once again, she agreed.

"Thank you so much!" Budo bowed and hopped onto the little wheel attachments that allowed him to slightly stand and grab Ayano's shoulders. 

"Wait, how is Ayano going to-" Budo's thoughts were interrupted by the sudden speed in which Ayano took off. His jaw dropped in awe as she petaled quickly.