Chapter 5

The Next Morning

I woke up to the sound of my alarm and jumped up immediately. Today is the day! Today is the daaaaaaaaaaaay! I get to drive a real F1 car! I think I got ready faster than I ever have in my life. Lando texted me as I went to start doing my hair. I know I usually come and hang out while we get ready but my PR person came straight to my room this morning :( I think she doesn't trust me.

Well, I mean, you did directly break her rules by hanging out with me last night, so I guess she has good reason to not trust you. I texted back as I finished brushing my hair. I heard a knock on my door as I tied the hair tie around the end of my french braid.

My own PR lady was outside my door. "You ready to go?" She asked.

"Yea, let me just grab my backpack," I responded as I grabbed my phone and tossed it in the bag. I was in my Alfa Romeo team shirt and some jeans, knowing I would just change into my racing suit when I get to the track.

As I started walking with my PR lady, who I learned was named Penelope, she started briefing me on the schedule for the day.

"You are going to be spending a huge amount of time in the car today, getting acclimated, running various programs so the team can gather data on the car. Before you get to do that, however, there are going to be numerous interviews and you have to meet all the mechanics. My advice would be to become good friends with your mechanics. You want to work as a well oiled machine, making sure they understand you when you say something doesn't feel right with your car, and you'll be working hand in hand to try and improve the car throughout the season," She told me.

I nodded, and we arrived at the car. Once I made it to the track, I was immediately bombarded by interviewers. Everything was a blur until I changed into my race suit. My trainer showed up and walked through my warm ups with me.

"You ready?" He asked me after the regimen.

"I've been ready for this all day," I squealed giddily.

"Atta girl," He said with a pat on my back.

I walked down to the garage and started milling about with the other drivers. I've met some of them before, but never really got to know anyone. I saw Lando talking with his teammate, Carlos, and he smiled at me. I figured we probably weren't really supposed to be talking, so I walked over to where Kimi was talking with Sebastian Vettel, Charles Leclerc standing quietly next to Seb.

"Hey! I'm Luna," I said to Charles, extending my hand out.

"Charles," He smiled as he shook my hand.

"Big step up for you this year, huh? Excited to move to Ferrari?" I asked him.

"And you're taking my seat on Alfa," He said back.

"Maybe next year I'll be on Ferrari next to you," I laughed. "If I even get to stay in Formula 1."

"I saw you in Formula 2, you were a beast," He told me. "I'd be surprised if you didn't have at least 3 guarenteed seats for next year by the end of the season."

"That means a lot," I said, blushing.

Charles smiled at me and we all started filing towards our various garages. I saw Lando staring at me from across the room, a tinge of sadness in his eyes. I waved at him and followed Kimi.

"Okay, so who is gonna be the one who teaches me how these dang cars work?" I joked to the mechanics as I walked into my garage.

"Well, hopefully, all of us," One of them said as he shook my hand. "My name is Gus."