Chapter 17

The Next Day

Third practice went smoothly, nothing really happening besides me almost spinning out at the Devil's Corner. There was a two hour gap in between practice 3 and qualifying, so I was hanging out in my room in the hospitality lounge. They told me that at about 45 minutes before qualifying, they were going to meet with me for some stretching, so I had a good chunk of time to kill.

Whatcha dooooooooin? I texted Lando.

Ice bath. You?

Sitting in my room being uber productive, I typed.

Oh yea I bet you're just doing all the calculations on how to utterly destroy me in Quali, Lando texted.

Oh, you wouldn't believe the big brain plays I'm coming up with in here ;) I sent.

Wanna meet up for an ultra secret meeting?

I mean we can try, but I don't know how well we can sneak away. Everyone kinda watches us out here, I was surprised that you did it last time, I sent.

We just gotta plan it out, like spies. Somewhere no one would expect us to go. I'm thinkin, we both go to the food courts to "Grab some food" and then sneak away behind the hospitality garages?

We can try, sure, I agreed.

We can't leave at the same time, it'll look suspicious. I'll leave now, you follow in 5 minutes.

Aight.

I scrolled through social media until the five minutes was up, and then departed my room.

"Where ya goin?" One of my team members asked.

"Oh, I figured I'd check out the food court," I shrugged.

"Ah, okay. Don't eat anything too heavy," He said.

"So I can't eat an entire chocolate cake? What a buzzkill!" I joked and he laughed.

I walked out of the hospitality garage and started walking towards the alleyway that led to behind the buildings. Looking around to make sure no one was looking, I slyly slipped into the alleyway.

"You made it! Mission successful," Lando smiled as I rounded the corner.

"This is quite a lot of effort to make, considering we'll see each other tonight," I giggled.

"Yea,. but I couldn't wait until tonight to do this," He smiled, leaning my into the wall and kissing me.

"You're adorbs," I smiled.

"Luna.... You have no idea how happy it makes me when I see you wearing the necklace I got you," Lando said, gently grabbing the pendent.

"I think it kinda suits me. That blue rock really brings out my eyes," I laughed.

"You wanna know what I keep struggling with? When I'm in the garages and I see you set a hella good lap, all I want to do is go, 'Yea! That's my girl!' But I can't do that or the team would know. But here, in this alleyway, I get to relish in you being my Moonchild all I want," Lando smiled down at me, putting his forehead against mine. "That's why I get so happy when I see you with the necklace. I know that you're mine, and even though no one else knows, you have a symbol of it to show the world in an incognito way."

"I really wish I could tell people too," I sighed. "But then there would be a huge shift in focus for both of us. Everyone would only care about the relationship, not our driving."