Chapter 6 Calling Home

Katherine

The rest of the day passed in a more conventional fashion, then school finished for the day I went to my locker to put away my books from my last class.  I knew I should probably use them to start studying, but honestly, I was too distracted to really concentrate on thronework.  So, I closed my locker and went to walk away when I almost ran into someone.

"I'm so sorry."  I said quickly before I realised who was in front of me.  "Antonio?"

"Oh, it's you again."  He smiled brightly. "Hola!"

"Hola."  I chuckled.  "Where are you off to?"

"I was just...  Um...  Well it doesn't matter.  What are you up to at the moment?"

"Nothing special."  I shrugged.

"Oh...  Right.  Well I guess I should be going."

"Ok, I guess I'll see you around."

"Yeah, see you."

"Bye."  I smiled at him, then kept walking.

After that encounter I decided to go back to my dorm room where I found that Felicia was on her mirrorphone talking to her parents.  I smiled and gave her a little wave, she waved back, then I left again, deciding to give her some privacy.

Once back outside I sighed and leaned against the closed door of my dorm.  What should I do now?  Most of my friends were probably busy, I didn't feel like studying, and now I couldn't hang around in my dorm, so what was there to do?

Eventually my feet just decided to start walking.  Where I was going I didn't care, just so long as I wasn't standing in one place feeling bored.

I walked away from all of the dormitories and through a number of hallways, passing many students who were talking and laughing as they went to their dorms or on their way to hang out with their friends.  There were plenty of faces that I recognised, but most of them didn't pay much attention to me, too busy to really noticed who was just walking by.  One person waved to me though, Ashlynn.  I smiled at waved back, though neither one of us really stopped to chat.  It looked like she had somewhere to be, but it was nice of her to notice me.

When I finally stopped walking I was outside.  It was nice out there, peaceful, so I took a seat on the grass and sighed, feeling a little more content.  That was when I realised that I should call my family and tell them about how school was going.  Since I had forgotten to do it last night- whoops!

So, I pulled out my mirrorphone and dialled my home number, then put it on speaker and laid my phone on the grass.

"Hello?"  My mother's voice answered.

"Hola Mama!"  I greeted cheerfully.

"Katherine!  How are you?  You were meant to call us last night, remember?"

"I know, I know, I'm sorry.  I just got so caught up with everything.  Anyway, I'm fine.  Good, in fact.  You'll never guess who my roommate is this year."

"Who?"

"Felicia!"

"Shrek and Fiona's daughter?  That's wonderful, kitten.  Now I understand why you didn't call us last night."  She chuckled.

"Um..  Yeah.  I am sorry about that."

"It's alright, I'm just glad that you're having a good time.  So, how is Felicia?"

"She's fabelous, and she says her parents are good too."

"I'm pleased to hear that.  I'll have to call Fiona and say hello, it really has been too long since we spoke."