Chapter 8 Frenemies?

Katherine

I managed to get plenty of study in over the next two hours, I finished reading chapter 2 and 3. I was almost halfway through chapter 4 when I realised that I should probably go back and check on how Humphrey was going with my mirrorpad.

Just as I was walking down the hall toward the Mirror Lab I saw Apple walk into the lab, wondering what she was doing, I decided to find out. So I waited just outside the door and casually listened.

"Hey Humphrey, thank you so much for your help with my mirrorphone."  I peaked in through the door and watched as Humphrey handed her mirrorphone to her.

"Y-You're welcome.  It was no problem. Really."  He gave her a small smile.

My brows furrowed, why did he seem even more nervous around Apple than he had around me? Was it just because she's the famed Apple White or was there another reason?

Apple turned the mirrorphone on and I watched as her smile widened.  "It's back to perfect again, just like you promised it would be.  You're a gem."

Oh so he couldn't promise me that he'd be able to fix my mirrorpad, but he promised to fix her mirrorphone?

"Oh, heh, I wouldn't say that."  He blushed.

Well that certainly explains a few things.

 "But I would.  Anyway, I've got to get going.  Thanks again Humphrey."  Apple said then I realised I needed to get away or I'd look suspicious so I hurried away to the end of the corridor where I had been before so that Apple didn't notice me when she left.

Once she was gone I went back and this time I walked into the Mirror Lab, "Hey Humphrey." I greeted, keeping my voice upbeat so that he didn't suspect that I had been watching him just before.

"Huh?  Oh, uh, hi Katherine!"

"How's it going with my mirrorpad?"

"Your mirrorpad?"  He asked as if he'd forgotten before his eyes widened slightly, "Oh!  Yes, your mirrorpad.  Right, well, I actually wasn't able to fix it.  I'm sorry."

"I see..."  I frowned, that seemed unusual for him, and it seemed especially suspicious when he had already fixed Apple's mirrorphone.  "Well I guess you've probably been busy..."  I had been about to ask for my device back when I noticed that it had fallen on the floor, discarded.  "And I guess it would be hard to fix if you never even looked at it."  I growled.

"Katherine I-"

"What?  Was Apple's phone a higher priority?  Or was my request simply not important enough?"  His face somehow seemed to look even paler than usual, but I had to call him out for this.  It wasn't fair of him to push my request for help aside just because Apple was the future "Fairest of Them All".  However, then I realised I might have jumped to conclusions.  "Did Apple bring you her mirrorphone before I came to see you?"

"Well, um...."

"Actually it doesn't matter," I shook my head.  "Did you actually get to look at my mirrorpad?  Can it be fixed or not?"

"I-I did get to look at it, but I couldn't fix it.  I might be able to with more time."

"Do you promise to work on it and not put it aside?"

"Y-Yes."  He nodded.

"Ok.  Thanks.  I'm sorry about snapping at you like that, I just...  I need my mirrorpad to work because I can't buy a new one right now and it already has some of my notes on it from different classes."

"I understand.  I'm sorry that I didn't give it my top priority.  I just...  Apple's mirrorphone was easier to fix so I thought I would do it quickly and then get back to your device."

"That...  Makes sense.  I'm sorry that I didn't realise."  I felt so embarrassed that I let myself jump to conclusions.

"It's ok."

"No, it's not.  It was wrong of me." 

"I forgive you."

"Thanks."  I gave him a sad smile.  "Anyway, I guess I should get out of your hair.  You probably don't want to talk to me after all of this so I'll leave you alone.  When do you think I should come back for my mirrorpad?"

"It's starting to get late in the afternoon, I might not get to finish it tonight.  I could find you at lunch and give it back to you?"  He suggested.

"Ok, if you're ok with doing that."

"Alright, I'll give it back to you then."

"See you then Humphrey, sorry and thank you again."  I said then walked back out with my tail between my legs.  I wasn't going to forgive myself for that in a hurry.

Female Narrator

I don't want to say I told you so, but...

Male Narrator

This doesn't make you right.

Female Narrator

Yes it does.  They are clearly frenemies.

Katherine

Will the two of you shut it!  I'm so over the both of you right now.

The whole day had been one massive fairy fail.  All I wanted after the fiasco was to curl up and get some sleep.  So I decided to skip dinner then went straight back to my dorm and went to bed.