Chapter 6

You'll never make me leave,
I wear this on my sleeve.
Give me a reason to believe.

"L-LOOK!" Frank exclaimed, pointing through the window to the side of the road.
"What?" I'd been distracted thinking and was clueless about what he was looking at.
"Th-there! A...a h-horse! It's a h-horse too, l-like the ones I s-saw before, right? O-only a brown one? Is...is it, G-gerard?" he questioned, excited like a five-year old.
"Yep, a brown horse. You've seen them on TV, haven't you?"
"Yeah! And...and al-also in b-books. W-we had a b-book with l-lots of pictures of an-animals. L-look a b-black one! And...and awwwwwww th-the spotted o-one is so p-pretty!" he continued. It was really nice to see him so happy and amused by such simple things. Nice and inspiring. It made me think of how we'd frequently take some things for granted only because we saw them everyday. I wished I could feel what Frankie was feeling, like everything was brand new and exciting. Maybe he could help me.

Even though I was driving I'd keep on turning to look at him. He seemed to zone out for a moment, then jerked and hit his head against the glass purposely. Not very hard, but enough to make me flinch.
"Frankie don't..."
"G-gerard?" he interrupted me. I nodded for him to go on.
"Y-you're gonna b-buy me my pills? I kn-know you said you d-don't have m-money here but...m-maybe at h-home?" he asked worriedly and visibly uncomfortable, rubbing his hands all over his face and head. It was getting harder for him to cope with his entangled brain the longer he was without medication; it was a fact that he needed it. My main concern lied in the fact that I didn't know what was wrong with him and which pills he took. I didn't want to force him to think, it evidently did him no good; but I had to try and see if he was acquainted with his problem.

"Frankie...do you have any idea of what pills you need?"
"Uh..." he played with his ear, thinking.
"Don't you know the name?"
"N-no I don't. Th-they're white and...and s-small. S-someone gave them to me al-always, I...I d-dunno the name. S-sorry." he said, feeling guilty for not being able to answer my question.
"No, it's ok. It's understandable that you wouldn't know that." I smiled.
"K-kay."
"And...don't feel bad if you don't but...do you know what...mental illness you have? I mean, what the problem with your head is?" I shot my second question, trying to be as gentle as I could. Frank's face saddened.
"N-no. I...I just kn-know I...I'm s-special and m-my head doesn't w-work too well. P-pills make it a l-little better. Y-yeah they d-do. All...all m-mixed up. Ev-everything. It...it h-hurts sometimes. H-here" he pointed to his temple.
"What about the name of the place where you lived? Do you remember?"
"N-no. No, I d-don't. No, n-nothing. S-stop, I DON'T KN-KNOW IT!" he screamed. I felt like an asshole, I shouldn't have insisted so much.
"I'm sorry Frankie, calm down, I didn't mean to make you nervous." I apologized, but he wasn't listening. He's started to chew on his thumb, swaying and raving.
"N-no. Y-yeah maybe...d-don't you think? T-to that wall. N-no that one, th-the other one. S-see?" His eyes were fixed on the front, though he didn't seem to be looking at anything. After several minutes he broke out of the trance and glanced at me, distressed.
"W-will you?"
"Will I what, Frankie?"
"B-buy my pills..." he said in a pleading, low voice.

Considering that the boy didn't seem capable of giving me any information, I was left with no other choice than to somehow try and find out by myself once we arrived home. Anyway, Frank would need to see a specialist or we couldn't get the pills; they won't sell you that kind of medication without a prescription. Even more important: to be able to take good care of Frankie and make sure that he'd be as fine as he could be, I needed money. And to get money, I needed to find a job as soon as possible.
There were a lot of things to have in mind, but I was willing to try. Not only for Frank. Also to prove myself that I could be responsible for once. Everybody was probably going to think I I'd gone crazy. No one would understand why I cared so much for a troubled kid I had just met. I didn't mind, I would give Frank a good life.