Chapter 7

Don't get too close,
don't move your eyes like that,
because they're deep enough to drown me.

"H-HELLO!!" I was awaken by a scream in my ear. In a matter of milliseconds I wrenched open my eyes and looked out the front. Barely remembering that I was driving, I was welcomed by bad news: we were about to collide with a huge bus in front of us. My hands gripped the wheel, my reflexes reacted and I gave it a quick turn, missing the bus by a few inches.

Still terrified and gasping for air, I slowed down and felt tears run down my cheeks. Then I heard a yawn behind me. I checked in the mirror and it showed me Frankie's big shifty eyes staring back at me.
"Good morning, Frankie!" I told him, trying to conceal my nervousness.
"M-morning! Y-you okay, G-gerard? Y-you're crying? Wh-what's wrong?" Frank asked the questions rapidly, one after another. He didn't realise that we had been in danger.
"Uh no, I'm not crying, I'm just tired and the sun's bothering me." I lied. He kept staring, making me feel weird. Even when I couldn't see him I felt his eyes on me.
"I...I l-like you, G-gee." he said. I swallowed quickly and almost choked on my saliva. He sounded...
"L-like you a lot..." he added. There was no doubt, Frank somehow sounded...sexy. I wasn't sure if he was intending to, but that's how it sounded to me.
I was trying to figure out my mixed up feelings when he did something more: he leaned over and kissed the side of my mouth. After that he climbed back into the front seat and fastened his belt, smiling at me.

Something told me this kid was going to drive me crazy, I was in no way immune to his charms. But even if he was, in fact, 'seducing me', I couldn't be certain that he meant it. Even if he meant it, I didn't know if he was 18 for real. And yet being 18 he was a mental patient; wouldn't that be illegal? Just in case I'd have to play the fool.
"W-we need to feed P-puppy!" Frank stated, hugging his invisible pet.
"Oh...I already did it while you were sleeping, don't worry." I answered. That would be one less problem.
"R-really? Oh, k-kay, then! B-bad Puppy...why you d-didn't tell m-me?"

"Oh my god! Coffee!" I screamed when I noticed the small building to my right. I needed something to help me stay awake if I didn't want to defy fate again. Frank looked at me surprised, tilting his head.
"C-can I have some c-coffee too?"
"Uh..." That wasn't a good idea. "No, you can't drink coffee, you're too young."
"Wh-what? I'm not th-that young, I'm 18!" he frowned. "L-let's see...h-how old are you, m-mister 'grown-up'?" he left me mute. It was the first time I'd heard him make sense for such a long time.
"I'm 23." I responded. Frank seemed to be counting with his fingers.
"F-four years is n-not that m-much! S-so why I can't h-have coffee?"
"It's five years." I corrected him.
"Wh-whatever! T-tell me?"
"Coffee's not good for your head. For...special people's head. Do you understand?" I tried to explain.
"Uhm...y-yeah, I th-think. K-kay then 'c-cause...'cause I d-don't want my head to g-get worse. Wh-what 'bout a C-coke?"
"I think a Sprite would be better, deal?" I considered a non-caffeine option better.
"D-deal! N-no you sh-shut up!"
"Me? Why?"
"N-no not you, h-him."
"Who?" I questioned. His sane moment was over.
"Th-the...he...wh-who is...my th-things! L-live me...ALONE!" he tugged at his hair.
"Ok, ok! But we need to go for our drinks now."
"Y-yeah...ok." he nodded, rather absently.

I opened the door and half-dragged Frankie behind me towards the shop. He was sluggish and silent, observing everything around him with much interest.
Back into the vehicle the silence continued while we drank, or better said the silence between us; Frank was having apparently funny conversations with the gnomes and sharing his Sprite with them and Puppy.

Feeling more alert I resumed the driving. I could sense Frank's stare focused on me once again, burning holes on the side of my face. I didn't dare say anything or turn my head.
"G-gee...you l-like me?" he asked softly. I felt a lump form in my throat.
"Of course I like you, Frankie. I wouldn't be taking you home with me if I didn't! I think you're a very nice, sweet boy." I gave my honest answer. I was starting to fear that I might like him in more than one way, but he didn't need to know that. I shouldn't even be thinking about that myself, it was wrong.
"Oh...th-that's...okay..." he sounded disappointed.
"Did I say something bad?"
"N-nope." After that he acted down for a while, leaning against the window, though he eventually returned to his hyperactive self.

Nearing mid-day, I searched my pockets and counted the money I had left.
"Yeah...I think it's enough since we'll be home by night. Hey Frankie, what about eating at a better looking place this time? McDonald's?" I consulted him happily.
"M-mac what?" he got pensive. "Uh...oh y-yeah! I kn-know! S-seen those p-places in movies but n-never been th-there. N-nope."
"Well, it'll be your first time today!"