Chapter 9

All I can say is that my life is pretty plain,
you don't like my point of view,
think I'm insane.
It's not sane...
It's not sane...

"You think so?" I didn't mean to ask Alicia that question aloud, the words just escaped me.
"Definitely." she wrote on the other side of the paper.
"Th-think what?" Frank murmured, twisting my hair between his fingers.
"Nothing important, kid, don't mind me."
"Ah." he shrugged and hugged me tightly as I heard Alicia giggle, probably adding Frank's actions to her mental list of evidences. I gestured a 'we'll talk about it later' to her, to which she nodded with a smile. This girl could be a little annoying sometimes, but she was a nice person and really good at giving advice.
"Gee," she pointed at Frank's bandage. "I was going to ask earlier but then forgot...what happened to his wrist?"
"I...I was d-doing a t-tattoo, see?" he showed her his arm. "B-but Gerard d-didn't let me finish and...and he c-covered the 'i'! N-now it s-says 'Frank' I...I d-don't like it, s-sucks. I l-like Frankie."
"Oh, how...?"
"With a pair of scissors I had forgotten in my car. He went deeper for the 'i', that's why it's bandaged." I explained, both of us sharing a concerned look.
"Geez! Frankie that's not how you get tattoos, boy!"
"K-kay." he babbled and returned to his previous position.

Mikey came from the kitchen wearing our mom's pink and white striped apron, some flour on it same as on his face and glasses. His index finger pointed to me and Frankie in an accusatory manner.
"I'm preparing some spaghetti for dinner but it'll be a while before it's done. I don't wanna be rude and imply that you two stink or something but...don't you think you need a shower?"
"How subtle of you, bro! And you've been cooking, for real? So fast?" I questioned surprised. He did know how to cook, but wouldn't do it very often.
"Well...mom left it half done, I finished the sauce and got it all ready. Anyway, tell me whether you're gonna take a bath now so I know how much time I have."
"Frankie's shaking, he's still too nervous. I'm afraid he might fall down or get hurt in the bathtub, I'd better have him wait 'till later. If Alicia can watch him for a while I'll go for a shower myself, though" I informed him. Frankie was transfixed on an undefined point in the room, eyes waltzing madly. I perceived that he was saying something only because his head was still on my shoulder, although I couldn't understand the words. Alicia observed him with certain sadness.
"Of course I'll watch him, just...what do I do with him?"
"Uh..." I carefully stood up holding Frank's head with a hand and then left him leaning against the couch. He didn't notice the change. "...right now nothing, it seems he's lost in his own world. If he gets out of this state turn the TV on or talk to him, just make sure he doesn't do anything dangerous."
"Understood."
"Thanks."

On my way to the bathroom, I entered the small kitchen where my brother was back to his chef activities. He was stirring the sauce in a casserole with a wooden spoon.
"Mmm, I must say it smells good." I complimented him. He didn't answer, as if he had chosen to ignore me. Seconds laden with tensity elapsed until he sighed, left the spoon on the marbled surface beside the stove and faced me, arms crossed over his chest and that serious look on his face; the one that made me feel like the little brother no matter that he was four years younger.

"Gerard, are you really sure?" he finally spoke in a firm tone.
"Sure about what? Your sauce? Of course, I..."
"Don't fuck with me!" he cut me off. "You know what I'm talking about, that boy you brought."
"What about him?" I wasn't feeling up for an argument.
"You're getting yourself into a big one, brother! You've never even taken care of a pet by yourself. How are you going to do with a crazy teen?"
"Don't call him that!" I tried not to raise my voice.
"Ok, sorry. But Gee..."
"Look, Mikey, I know I haven't taken real responsibilities in my life so far. As I told you, I wanna change, and that's part of what I'm going to alter. I think life, destiny or whatever you call it put Frank in my way for something. I don't care if it sounds silly or maybe cliché, it's what I feel." I explained myself. He shook his head and ran his hands through his light brown hair.