Chapter One

Make a choice and take a chance or things will never change.

That was often what brought clients through the door of Toronto's innermost circle of fertility clinics. These individuals or couples had made a decision to alter their lives forever. They had chosen to travel down the path of parenthood and fertility clinics were tasked with assisting them.

In many ways these places were parents last resort at having a child of their own. People would come in and out of these doors desperately seeking what they considered a miracle.

Bringing a life into this world was the biggest miracle people were given. It could be seen as the greatest blessing in life.

There were over fifteen percent of Canadian couples currently struggling with infertility. In that time these fertility clinics have grown in popularity. They were designed to assist with couples that reached out. It was meant to be a welcoming judgment free environment. It was professionals that worked with you to more forward towards a family.

Creating a family wasn't to be taken lightly.

Everyone had their own personal reasons to coming in. and they all had reasons as to why they were starting a family. All patients did this in their own time when they were ready.

Theodora Thompson was one of these many individuals that had been drawn to the clinic a couple years ago in search of sperm donation. The young women had grown tired of spending her nights alone, she hated celebrating the holidays without family surrounding her and she was sick of having daily means on her own.

So the story goes she came into this very clinic in the heart of Toronto searching for a sperm donor to start a family. Sperm donation was the best option in that moment for her. She didn't want a chance of having a deadbeat father reappear and want connection with the child. She feared facing custody battles. She worried about her children getting attached to someone who felt obligations towards the children rather than feeling affection. Going this alone without any strings attached was the perfect option for her.

She had spent many late nights huddled on the couch reviewing the countless sheets of papers of prospective fathers. She had taken careful consideration of what each prospect had to offer. There were many times she had lost quiet a bit of sleep because she had been so engrossed in her reading.

When Teddy had finally settled on a university graduate – with honors for architecture – whom was describe at being sandy brunette haired with green eyes and athletic built, she returned to the clinic to receive the syringes.

Since then Teddy has been living a picture perfect motherhood style life with her two daughters. Yes from that faithful day she was blessed with a set of twin daughters that are just over the age of two. They were her dream come true. Two little girls with the golden hair they inherited from their momma, and sets of blue eyes they must have gained from their unknown father.

The last time she had been in this building was three years ago and she hadn't had any interaction with them since. So why had they called her out of the blue and requested she come for a meeting? What could they possibly need to meet her about?

Teddy was seated bouncing her leg slightly as she nervously waited for her name to be called. She glanced around the sterile, nearly silent room. There were a few other couples but most were sitting wordlessly viewing papers.

One duo however had captured her attention. They were tucked away in the corner of the room mumbling to each other.  And Teddy could just make out what they were whispering.

The women, who had equally blonde hair as Teddy – though hers was clearly dyed considering the mishmash shade of her eyebrows – was bending towards the man. "They didn't indicate what they wanted to speak to us about?" her tone was low but sharp; she clearly wasn't impressed about the call in. Had they been abruptly called for a meeting too?