Chapter Six

Teddy was having second thoughts. She never should have agreed to this. Sure it was only an Easter lunch with Alec and Stephanie, and it wasn't like she had other plans. But it had been a lot for her to get the girls ready and out the door. She needed to pack a bag with a couple changes of clothes, all their toiletries, a couple toys. It was never easy getting two preschoolers out of the house and on a three-hour car ride.

All she could say about this was it better be worth it. This was hopefully going to appease Stephanie and help them all to move forward in harmony. Truth is told however she wasn't planning on making these city visits a regular occasion, this needed to be something special.

The streets of downtown Toronto was packed – you'd think with it being a holiday there would be some calmness to the traffic. But it seemed she was wrong. The streets were as busy as ever – possibly even more so than usual. She had gone around the block twice before she was able to find a park spot, and it was still a walk to Alec's apartment.

With a sigh she got out and round the car to assist with the girls. Keeping her eye on them she swung her bag over her shoulder and made a face. "Somebody needs a change" she mumbled. Lifting Charley onto her hip she reached down and held Joey's hand. "Lets go see Alec okay?" she cooed heading up to the building.

Absent-mindedly she tugged at the door, but it wouldn't budge. With a frown she gave it another pull, but again nothing. If Alec knew they were coming why would he have locked the door?

"Momma, there's a button" Joey gave her hand a tug and pointed to the sidewall where buzzers were lined up on display. Written beside each button was a name and apartment number.

Teddy approached it curiously. She had never been to an apartment before. Reading along the names she located Alexander Daddario near the top – by these numbers he was on the top floor. She gave the button a press. A few seconds later the males voice rang through.

"Hello?" Alec asked, his voice sounding rather tired.

"Hey Alec" Teddy answered. "It's me and the girls."

"Come on up" Alec responded. The buzzer sounded giving the mother and two children the chance to enter. For a moment she glanced around and moved towards the elevator. Loading the kids up the mother eyed the buttons. Why did elevators this tall skip floor thirteen? Wasn't there still technically a thirteenth floor? Anyways she pressed the top level and felt her eyes pop on the way up.

There weren't as many apartments lining the hall as she had suspected. Hopefully that meant the Daddario family lived in a larger than usual place. At the end of the hall was a single door propped open. Assuming that was the place she moved forward and lightly knocked.

"I'm so glad you made it!" Alec cheered stepping into the doorway. He opened it and let the girls inside. "Make yourself at home."

Glancing around Teddy found that the open space wasn't much of what she would classify as home. Her place was filled with warm colours and cozy rugs, over stuffed sofa's and toys scattered everywhere. This place was cold and rather clinical. It was all eggshells white, with cold tile flooring, no art on the walls and a lack of comfortable seating. This apartment looked more like one that was staged for selling; it showed no signs of having been lived in.

"Thank you for having us" Teddy answered setting Charley gently on the floor. She knelt and started to assist Charlotte in removing her jacket. Alec had done the same with Joey.

Stephanie sauntered into the entryway, plastered with the perfect makeup and strutting in her three-inch heels. Teddy couldn't believe her eyes. This was how Stephanie dressed around the house? Teddy was lucky if she brushed her hair if she was having a family dinner at home. "Hello Theodora" Stephanie beamed neatly folding her hands in front of her. Glancing down she greeted the girls. "Hello Josephine. Hello Charlotte." But a look of disgust crossed Stephanie's face. She took a quick step back. "What is the horrible smell?"