Chapter Four

"I'm coming!" Teddy called out as she came rushing down the stairs. The store wasn't set to open for another hour but there was a constant ringing of the doorbell. The woman was still in her flannel pyjamas that had little reindeer's printed on it - certainly not the proper attire for guests.

Much to her surprise Alec was waiting on her doorstep with a brown paper bag in hand. He was dressed laid back and appeared rather chipper for someone who must have awakened extra early to be here by now.

"Why are you... what are you doing here?" Teddy glanced at the man before her with widened eyes. They hadn't planned on meeting today.

With a wide smile on his face Alec held up two brown take-out bags with the label from the local diner. "I thought I'd drop in and treat you girls to breakfast. When we had lunch at the diner you mentioned how you and the girls loved the chocolate chip pancakes they served."

"Oh" Teddy's mouth opened in a slight small circle. She pushed the door fully open and allowed the man to step inside. "Come on in" she smiled slightly. "Can I help you?" She asked holding her out her arms to take one of the bags.

"I've got it. This is my treat to you. I can't expect you to carry it" Alec was still smiling as he followed the women upstairs to the apartment. "Good morning Charley and Joey!" He cheered.

The two girls were spread out on the multi-coloured rug with a bunch of dolls around them. They glanced up at Alec and both gave a big smile. Charley was the first to push her off the floor and come running to hug his leg. Joey followed shortly after and hugged his other leg.

Alec chuckled as he watched the little ones. He didn't realize how much he had been missing out in life. Coming home every day to be welcomed just like this by these two little girls would be wonderful.

"What's in the bag?" Joey asked excitedly eyeing the bags in his hands.

"I brought you girls breakfast," Alec answered.

"Oh" Charley said with a small frown.

"Is something wrong?" He asked. Glancing around the room he noticed there was a couple dishes left on the table and many stacked in the sink. "You've already had breakfast?"

Teddy smiled sadly and explained, "the girls did. They're up by seven every morning. So they tend to eat early."

"Oh. I had no idea" Alec furrowed his brows and glanced down at the bags. "I would've tried to come earlier."

"It's fine" Teddy reassured him. "I actually haven't gotta a chance to eat yet. Maybe you'd like to join me.

The smile came back to Alexander's face, "that sounds like a nice idea." The girls had now returned to play their games. Leaving Alec free to walk to the table setting the bags down.

Teddy grabbed a set of plates and took a seat. "So what have you got?"

Unpacking the bags Alec put out the take away containers. "Three orders of the pancakes, scrambled eggs and bacon."

"Bacon?" Teddy's eyes widened happily. "Oh gosh I haven't had bacon in years. Not since I was pregnant with the girls."

"You haven't had bacon in years?" Alec asked taking a seat. He served out two pancakes, spoonful of eggs and several pieces of crispy bacon.

"It was a craving when I was pregnant" Teddy answered. With her slender fingers she lifted a crisp piece and took a nibble. "But the girls have never been a fan of the food. So I just don't bother taking the time to make it only for myself."

"Well now's your chance" Alec pushed the plate holding the bacon towards Teddy. "Eat it up."

Teddy gave her little head a small shake but took the plate nonetheless. Excitedly she took another bite of bacon. "So what's with the special treatment?"