Chapter Eight

Saturday had finally rolled around, and Alexander had found it difficult to fall asleep the night before in anticipation. He had wanted to make up for his failure to be there when Teddy needed him earlier this week. This would be the first time they were together since he let her down, and to say he was a little nervous would be an understatement.

With a coffee in hand Alec paused in the living room to notify Steph he was leaving. "Hey, I'm heading out now. I'll be home tomorrow afternoon" Alec said grabbing the overnight bag from the floor.

"You know how I feel about the idea of you spending the night there," Stephanie grumbled, but her nose remained in the book she was reading.

Alec released a small sigh "I'll be on the couch. And you could always come along too. The invite is still open," he stated. He had brought up the topic of him spending the weekend with Teddy and the girls, and Stephanie was anything but supportive. She hated the idea and made it well vocalized.

"And sleep on the couch? Yeah no thank you" Stephanie laughed a little at that. "Oh and my uncle called when you were in the shower. Something about work. Wants you to call him back."

"I'll do it in the car" Alexander said heading towards the door. He paused for a moment and glanced back over his shoulder at the women he called his wife. She wasn't even looking his way, as she was now busy with her phone in hand. And that is when it hit him. He didn't kiss her goodbye. In fact the thought hadn't even occurred to him. He had no want or will to cross the floor and kiss the women he supposedly love goodbye.

He wasn't going to see her until the next day. Shouldn't a kiss goodbye be something natural? Than why did he body do the very opposite? Why was he willing to walk out without properly saying goodbye to her?

Even now, after realizing it Alec still couldn't bring himself to head back across the room. Rather he grabbed the handle of the door and exited their apartment. Without another glance back he headed out to his car.

Fishing his phone from his pocket he sent a quick text to Teddy informing her he was on his way. Than he dialed his boss's number.

"Good, you called back" his boss stated the second he answered the phone, without so much of a hello. "I need you to come into the office today."

Alexander was taken back, the office? Today was Saturday, it was his day off. Not like he hadn't put in overtime hours before. He was known for willingly working the weekends. But today was different. He had plans. Some very important plans. "I cant. I'm heading out of town today and won't be back until tomorrow evening."

"Alexander, this is not an option," his bossed stated calmly through the receiver. "One of those stupid interns spilt coffee all over a stack of pitches. The sketches and everything. They're all ruined. We need to redo them. And two of them were yours. The others are already coming in to remake the sketches today, and I expect you to be here too."

"Let me get this straight" Alexander sighed, "An intern ruined copies of several upcoming client meeting pitch decks? And you want me to come in and redo all the work I've already done?"

"Everyone else has agreed to come in. this was a terrible incident and I want it repaired as soon as possible" his boss insisted.

"Which client meeting is this for?" Alexander wondered. If he intended to remake the pitch deck, he would need to know exactly whom he's remaking it for.

"The one on Thursday" his boss grumbled. "Now are you coming or not?"

"The client for this Thursday?" Alec gasped. "Sir with all due respect but that meeting is five days away. I am certain that I will be able to remake the pitch once I come into work on Monday. If this was for Monday's client I would understand the sudden need for a time crunch... but sir I will have plenty of time during weekday hours."