Shivani

I can hear my alarm ringing in the back of my mind.

Good Morning Ms. Vishwanathan,

Would you like to snooze your alarm?

I grumble and sit up.

Now Playing: GET OUT OF BED PLAYLIST.

I slip on a silk robe and look out of my window. I hear the voice of Teresa Furmon fill the room, her album cover appears on the screens. I turn to one of them.

"Activate mirror function."

Activating.

I pull my hair up into a bun, as my usual uniform appears on my body. Simple grey dress, with a white ribbon around my waist, plain white flats, and a small white pendant around my neck, with my family number and caste on it.

Shivani Vishwanathan, family 2435678, Oknavria. Exit capsule ready.

I step in the tube, fitting in perfectly, between two others.

Now descending.

I look at the pods nearby on my way down, I see my youngest sister get ready for school. My mother kisses her on the forehead, before sending her down. I shudder thinking about the cleansing, I hope she will not be chosen.

You have arrived at Center 44555721, Ms. Vishwanathan.

I step out of the capsule and head to my work station. I already have a line.

"Hi, my name is Shivani, what can I get for you today?" I ask my first customer.

"Can I get a soybean low-fat Physics with a shot of chemistry, first year, 1056, with extra whip cream?"

"Sure, one sec."

After the first few hours, it feels like an eternity has passed. Sometimes I wish I wasn't put into Oknavria, so I could some future beyond... whatever the heck this is that I'm doing.

"Hey? HEY!"

I snapped back to reality, and see an angry man in front of me. I straighten myself up.

"Hi, what can I get you?"

"Gimme a triple shot of charisma with extra caramel whip on top and a First Impressions Muffin."

"Ok, got it." I turn around and start preparing his order. "So... Job Interview? Date?"

"None of your business. Just get my stuff and fast." He grumbles, "Useless Oknavrias, always screwing everything up aren't ya?"

"Ok,'" I pause and turn to him. "That wasn't very polite. I don't understand what I've done to deserve your anger."

"I said get my stuff." He growls, loud enough for the people behind him to hear. "FAST."

"Apologise."

He whips around to face a tall girl. She stares him down.

"Don't get involved, freak."

She wasn't wearing a uniform, but her pendant said Walona, a lower caste. She should have been a factory worker or a farmer, but instead, she was here. She must have gotten a lot of money and bought her way out.

"You heard me, apologize." She barked back.

"You kids, always meddling. This ain't your business. So back off, before I mop the floor with your face."

"I won't repeat myself again."

He snarled and leaped at her. She ducked swiftly. He whirled around, fuming, launching himself at her, but swept her legs under his feet, tripping him. I think he hit his head on the counter because he lay unconscious at her feet.