⋖Chapter 26⋗

Josh's P.O.V.

It dragged out longer than I expected, Simon's life. Days stretched out into a week and then another, all while Simon grew weaker and weaker to the point where he was in a coma like state. His breathing was painfully slow with very long pauses between his breaths and I knew the end was drawing nearer.

He was restless, he had repetitive and probably involuntary movements where he tossed his head or groaned quietly whenever I touched him which was the only thing that let me know he was still alive. His skin was cold to the touch and his fingers and feet were a bluish, dusky colour.

The sun was just dawning, about two weeks after we had left the clearing and the others, when I woke up beside Simon. I was glad we had left when we did because otherwise we never would made it out this far because although I had to carry him, he could still walk. He was somehow less response than he had been the day before, unable to open his eyes and definitely unable to speak. He could hear me though.

To keep him calm and maybe more to keep myself calm, I sung. Most of the song didn't have words, they were simply tunes I made up as I went, humming and pacing- waiting for the end to come.

Occasionally I would stare in the direction of the clearing, wondering what the boys were up to. Were they farming? Were Lachy and Vikk and Mitch still having play fights in the river? Was Harry still alive? That thought pulled me up, my mind drifting to the youngest of the group- why was him that had to be struck down with a disease like that?

"Josh?" Simon called, his voice so soft that I could hardly hear him even from 3 feet away. I turned to him. "Josh? Mum?"

My heart jolted and suddenly I realised what was going on- the same thing that had happened several times now. He was confusing the time, the place and the people around him. I think he thought he was back home in our community before everyone died, before his mum passed, when we were little and still best friends. He often had nightmares as a child and either called out for me or his mum. He was seeing and hearing things that weren't there.

I sat down beside him, running a hand over his arm.

"I'm here Si." I whispered, even though he couldn't hear me. "It's okay. You're okay."

----------------------------------------------------

It finally took him early in the morning, which dawned bright and warm. There was no frost, no snow, no rain- the sky was bright, clear and blue. The perfect day for it to be my last.

He had no last words, not that he could say anything anyway. He said it all with his eyes, calm and relaxed- he was ready to go, after so long suffering he was completely ready to close his eyes and never wake up. I ran my hand through his hair and over his arms as his breathing slowed, our eyes locked.

"I love you Simon." I whispered, holding him close. "I'll see you soon."

His chest stuttered, he took one last heaving breath, and then he was gone. I pressed one last loving, soft kiss to his forehead.

In my backpack there were only three things, a shovel, a knife and a rope. While Simon was unconscious I had occupied myself by digging a grave, but only one. How would I bury my own body? Lifting him up I carefully lowered him down into the ground and covered him in earth, trying not to think about what I was doing, but I was unusually calm. I wasn't crying, I wasn't scared because I knew I would see him soon.

His headstone was small but the words were carved deep, and I hoped they would never fade. I wanted the world to know that he was there, if anyone came near this area.

Simon, the boy I loved. I'll see you soon.

No birth date, no death date, no age. We didn't know those things and there was no point in guessing, not for something this insignificant. Who would see this gravesite, who would know who this boy was, lying here, dead and buried? Who would come to this area and see the grave, my bones, the life we once had here- our farms, our shelter and now, our bodies.

I threw the knife and shovel as far away from where Simon was buried as I could and surveyed the area. This was what I once called home, I thought, and what Simon called home too. I was honestly glad to die here. Once the charred remains of earth and scorched bark was gone this would be untouched, no evidence of our existence other than the gravestone and my bones. Like I wanted.

I had grown up tying knots so I had no trouble in creating a noose within a minute, looking for a tree. There was one directly over Simon's grave. I didn't know how long it would take but eventually the rope would decay, snap, depositing my bones right next to the boy I had known and loved my entire life.

I had my last words, whispered into the empty and silent air.

"You said I was dreamer Simon, and I am. I'll see you soon."

I wrapped the noose around my neck, and let myself fall. I didn't suffer because all I could think about was finally being back with Simon- it was all I wanted. I wanted to be with him.

And all I could think was- in time there will be nothing left but bones and flowers. And the love I felt for him.