17 | dinner or disaster?

I just wanted to say a quick Thank You to everyone who commented on the last chapter whishing me an early Happy Birthday and especially to the person that told me THIS IS THEIR FAVORITE HARRY FANFIC EVER.... LIKE WHAT??

But seriously thanks sooo much to everyone who reads my stories. I love you all to BITS.

Anywho enough of me. Enjoy xx

*-*-*-*

"So, tell me Zayn. What have you been up to these past few months?" My father asks as we sit at the table, everyone oblivious to my lack of mental presence.

How had I not seen it before? I recognized her when I saw her on the news, crying over that one girl Madelyn. I recognized her when I first started working at the cafe, but I just thought it was a coincidence or my mind playing tricks on me. Until now.

Somehow seeing Zayn again triggered some part in my brain to peice it together. And I'm not really sure what it all means except I knew Hannah before I moved here.

Zayn says something in response to my father's question but I'm not paying attention to anything except my thoughts. The only thing that pulls me from my haze is the sound of the doorbell.

No one moves, confused as to who could be at the door. I think for a moment it could be Hannah, dropping off my work uniform I forgeot at the cafe despite me telling her she didn't have to.

I pray that it isn't.

The doorbell rings again.

"I'll get it." I say, standing from the table and walking around the corner. When I open the door, I'm relieved it's not Hannah. But also angry at the man in front of me who apparently doesn't trust me. "What are you doing here?"

"Who is at the door, Mason?" My dad asks as he comes around the corner. "Oh, hello Harry."

"Hi, Mr. Kane. Nice to see you again." Harry smiles kindly before glancing at me, a knowing look in his eyes. "I hope I'm not interrupting."

"Not at all, why don't you join us?" My dad says, motioning for us to follow him back to the dining room.

When my dad is out of hearing range, I quickly shut the door and turn to Harry. "What the hell are you doing here?" I whisper harshly.

"Why? Am I getting in your way with your ex?" He says, equally as harsh.

"You know I wouldn't do that." I reply.

"Do I?" He raises his eyebrows in question.

"Yes because I for one, am upfront about myself. Unlike someone, 'Mr. Mysterious'." I scoff turning to walk down the hall and back to the dinning room.

He catches my wrist, a smirk spreading across his lips. "You think I'm mysterious?"

I roll my eyes. "Your mood swings are giving me whiplash."

Harry follows me down the hall. "So that's a yes?"

I fight the smile that spreads across my lips as we walk into the dinning room. Everyone looks up as we enter.

"Oh, it's Harry." Layla smiles. "Nice to see you, again."

I try not to vomit as I sit down again, Harry taking the empty seat next to me. He also notices that Zayn is seated on my other side.

"I don't think we've met." Harry says to Zayn, "I'm Harry, Mason's boyfriend."

I can tell my father is surprised by Harry's introduction, as I haven't told anyone about our relationship. But, his expression is nothing compared to Zayn.