20 | research

Holy Jesus we're at chapter 20 already...

hold me Harreh I cant...

and it's a double update oh LAWD! Niall come hold me, too!

...but actually this chapter is going to be a little different because it's kinda not a chapter... it's all (or more like some) of Mason's research.

It's actually really interesting and the actual citations are below each segment if you want to read more. But, basically this is the important stuff you're gonna want to know to look out for as well as this is the stuff I've used to base the murder on (as well as a few characters to keep you guessing ;) muahahaha)

If you think I'm insane for finding this interesting and you'd rather bash in your own skull than read all of this, then just read Mason's notes at the bottom, which are in bold

BUT I HIGHLY SUGGEST you read at least the first part titled "The Holmes and Holmes Serial Murder Typology" because this is the main typology I use in my own classification for my character(s)

enjoyyyy xx

*-*-*-*-*

"The Holmes and Holmes Serial Murder Typology

Ronald M. and T. Holmes, authors on numerous serial killer and violent crime books, proposed a new serial murder typology, which organizes killers into 4 main categories:

1. Visionary killers:

feel the need to murder because of visions or messages they receive from angels, demons, Satan or God. Their victims are not related and have no connection.

2. Missionary killers:

murder strictly a particular group, class, or race of people in an effort to eliminate them.

3. Hedonistic killers:

get intense sexual gratification from their acts. These hedonistic killers can be further divided into two categories: lust killers, who derive pleasure before and after the victim is dead, and thrill killers, whose excitement fades as soon as the victim is dead.

4. Power or Control killers:

who desire to master and control their victims completely, including when and how they die.

Several researcher professionals have analyzed the Holmes and Holmes Serial Murder Typology and questioned whether it is valid or not. For example, British scientists at the University of Liverpool did an empirical study of the typology and found that the attributes of power/control killers actually applied to all of the other listed types of killers. According to these researchers, in other words, the power/control category should be removed completely. Still, the Holmes typology remains a very useful tool in helping to understand the motivations and psychological processes of serial killers."

"Psychopathy vs. Antisocial Personality Disorder

Mental health professionals refer to the (DSM) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, to help guide in the treatment of their patients. It describe antisocial personality disorder, or ASPD. This condition describes many serial killers.

The most obvious indicator of the disorder is a total disregard for laws and the social norm. People with ASPD usually have a long history of arrests and are often involved in physical fights. Some are capable of lying so skillfully it's hard to know when they are telling the truth. They will also act impulsively, with little care to the safety of themselves or others. Symptoms sometimes begin to appear in their early teens. Adults with ASPD struggle to stay employed according to the DSM. The manual also mentions that the disorder is more common with men than women.