A Much Needed Drink

Chapter 8

"You look nice, by the way," Sabo commented as he watched you unbutton the flannel jacket you had pulled on over your black dress which you had paired with chunky heeled black boots.

You smiled slightly, still feeling insecure about the bruises that covered your body but considering you were going to a bar where almost everyone knew you, there was really no reason to be. "Thanks...it feels weird being here and not working, hopefully Shanks won't mind."

"I'm sure his solution would have been to take the night off and drink anyway," Sabo shrugged as he led you to a table.

"That's his solution for everything," you joked, sitting down in the seat the blonde pulled out for you.

"You're not wrong," Sabo chuckled, shaking his head slightly. "Stay here, I'll go get us some drinks."

You nodded, sitting back as you looked around the bar, waving at Luffy and Ace who was behind the counter working. Letting your eyes drift a bit you noticed Marco and Thatch sitting at their typical back booth with their group of friends playing some form of poker. You shook your head, smiling at the sight.

"You're wearing his jacket, by the way," Sabo informed you as he sat down across from you after putting a drink in front of you.

"What?" You furrowed your brow. "Oh...I didn't know this was Marco's, I just grabbed the first one I saw as we were walking out the door."

"Maybe you sensed it was his or something," Sabo teased. "Seriously though, when are you going to actually tell him how you feel?"

"It's not that simple! If I tried he'd just reject me," You whined, giving Sabo your best pout as you took a long sip from your drink.

"No, he likes you. He just feels weird because the rest of us see you as a sister," Sabo glanced across the bar at the other blonde, chuckling when he noticed Marco was already staring at them.

"I mean I love you guys more than anything, and I'd consider you guys my brothers...but I feel differently about Marco so I don't see why he can't get over it," you sighed, resting your chin on one of your hands. "But every time I try to flirt he lets me down with the whole 'sister' thing. How does one even date someone anyway?"

"It's not that hard, I'm doing it," Sabo commented, watching you down most of your drink.

"Yeah, and lucky her! You're the sweetest most dedicated boy in the whole world!" You exclaimed, reaching your hands up into the air. "I don't know what I would do without you, honestly."

"You're a pretty capable person by yourself, [y/n]. I don't understand how you never see that," Sabo frowned as he watched your face drop.

"I don't know, sometimes it's just hard to see your own self-worth..." you murmured as you rubbed your hand up and down your arm. "I just feel...sometimes I just feel so weak, like the other night. I mean sure I may have stood up to Kid, but he could easily throw me around. Someone had to come to my rescue, someone always has to come to my rescue."

"[Y/n], come on, you're being way too hard on yourself! Kid is a beast, most people wouldn't be able to even stand up to the guy as you did. Plus, it's okay to need help, it actually takes a stronger person to ask for help."

"But it's not just that...I only went on that date in the first place because I wanted to make Marco jealous. I'm so pathetic," you admitted, groaning as you took the last sip of your drink.

"Those all sound like thoughts and actions that everyone has and does," Sabo chuckled slightly. "You know, it's okay to feel weak and pathetic? Just so long as you also remember the good things about yourself too."

"Like what?"

"Like how you're the smartest person I've ever met, the fact that you just got a degree, how you always do things for others even when there's nothing in it for you, like getting up at the crack of dawn on your day off to make us coffee, how you always make us lunch and generally just take care of us. You're hard-working, kind, caring, and a badass!" Sabo poked your head when you finally looked up at him. "Again, you stood up to Eustass fucking Kid knowing that he could and would beat the shit out of you! And you did that because he insulted one of your friends."

"Well, those all sound like great things..." You admitted. "But—"

"No buts, [y/n], take this pep talk to heart and remember the good things about yourself next time," Sabo held his hands up as he cut you off. "And if you don't remember, I'll always be here to remind you.

"Yeah," you smiled, "I know you will."

"Now, it's your turn to go get us drinks," Sabo smiled back at you as he slid his empty glass over to you.

"Okay, okay," you chuckled as you got up and walked over to the bar with the glasses.

"Hey, [y/n]! Need a couple of refills?" Ace asked as he walked over towards you, already grabbing the glasses before you could answer.

"Yes please, freckles~" You smiled, leaning against the counter as you waited.

"What's got you smiling like that?" Ace questioned, stealing a glance at you.

"Sabo just gave me this amazing pep talk and I'm actually feeling pretty good about myself after it," You turned to face the raven-haired male as he put the now full glasses in front of you.

"Glad to hear it," Ace chimed, trying to match the intensity of your smile with his own. "You look like you could take on anything right now."

"I think...I could," you nodded, a look of determination taking over your features as you turned back around.

"I know that look...what are you planning, [y/n]? Ace asked, a hint of concern in his voice.

"I'm planning on doing something before I regret it, that's what I'm planning," you remarked, missing Ace's confused look as you marched back to your table, placing the cups down on the table and moving on before Sabo could even look up from his phone.

Marco was certainly not the first one to notice you approach the booth, but he locked eyes with you as soon as he heard Thatch call your name. He titled his head, probably confused by your determined look.

"I need to ask you something, Marco," you blurted out, ignoring the groan from Thatch about you ignoring him.

"O-okay yoi, what is it?" Marco stuttered as he scratched the back of his nervously. "Do you want to speak in private?"

"No, here is fine," you shook your head, taking a moment to breathe and calm your racing heart. "Marco, will you go on a date with me?"