four

"...tryna do it over, bring it back and rewind it..."

||

"I HAVE A BOYFRIEND."

Imani stilled, her heart sinking into the pit of her stomach. Fuck. Did she just spend all night flirting with a girl who wasn't even...

"Oh." Forcing a laugh, she twisted away. "A boyfriend."

"Yeah." Mae squirmed with a breathless laugh. Almost as if she was guilty. "Yeah, I... uh, I have a boyfriend."

Ah. Okay. Nodding, Imani handed her phone back. "Got it. I didn't know you were seeing someone."

Mae cursed under her breath. Of course, she didn't know. Because somehow, he hadn't even noticed that she was in the same bar all night, letting someone else make a move on her.

Because somehow, Mae had forgotten completely—surrendering to sweet smiles and flirty banter.

"This is so awkward," she groaned, squeezing her eyes shut. "I'm sorry. I—"

"Forget it, Mae."

When her eyes snapped open, regret squeezed her heart. Imani was already drifting away from her, wrapping a hand around her drink stiffly. Mae suddenly felt cold in the summer heat, her bottom lip trembling. Tonight had just been a mess of mistakes.

Why didn't she just keep her mouth shut? Why didn't she just take her phone number? Why didn't she just... lie?

"Fine." Mae shrugged, pressing her lips together angrily. "I'll forget it."

It was nothing. They didn't even really know each other.

For the first time since Mae sat down beside Imani, they really did feel like strangers. An uncomfortable silence simmered between them, only filled by the faint music still seamlessly drifting into an endless soundtrack.

The tension suddenly felt suffocating.

Mae shook her head, tipping her glass to her lips with another scowl. Once again, she'd ruined something that could have been good. Something that felt right.

Why could she feel Imani staring at her? Why did it light her skin on fire?

Desperate to escape it, her gaze stayed rigid with her drink; she followed the curve of the glass to where it met the bar gently and then stilled.

A heart was etched into the worn wood—shallow and small, holding a million romantic memories that outlived her mistakes of tonight.

"Cute," Mae snickered bitterly, tracing a finger over the tiny grooves with precision.

Imani said nothing, and it hit her harder than it should have. Maybe their conversation was over.

Why did her heart drop in disappointment?

Stiffly, Mae glanced at her phone. 11:58 PM.

It was time for her to go home.

"I should leave," she whispered, forcing herself to peer up. "It's midnight."

Imani arched a brow. Amusement flashed in her eyes, blinding Mae for a second. "What? Do you have a curfew?"

Somehow, all the tension vanished. Willing every other feeling away, Mae let herself sink into the sensual shade of her eyes. A loose smile captured her lips. "No."

"Ah." Imani grinned. "The boyfriend has a curfew set for you."

Her gaze flickered to the group of men on the other side of the bar. No, he didn't have a curfew set for her; he wouldn't even miss her. "Actually, he won't be home for hours."

Imani hummed. "Then what is it?"

"I just know myself," Mae admitted softly, her eyes glinting with enough mischief to make Imani smile. "I only make shitty decisions after midnight."

Oh. Imani blinked, taken aback by the slightly seductive tone in her voice. "Really?"

Mae felt dizzy. Maybe it was the alcohol finally hitting her, but there was a good chance that it was the scent of coconut and vanilla caressing her cheeks.

Because Imani was inching closer again.

"Is he over there?"

"Yeah."

Imani waited, watching her gaze drift up and over her before falling. Their eyes clashed.

"Maybe we should leave," Mae suddenly breathed.

Imani snickered. "Do you think that's a shitty decision?"

"No."

Fuck. There was no hesitation.

"I have a place," Imani offered quietly, her pulse spiking when Mae bit into her lower lip. "Yeah. We could get out of here."