Lilac III: Extinguished and Saved

🌼Lilac III: Extinguished and Saved

The squidbeak breathed a sigh of relief. It was all over now. No more plot twists or extra fights under the moonlight. They were done for real this time. Thank cod.

"Okay, sleep time," Rider sighed as he knelt down to lay on the grass.

The squidbeak laughed a little at this, quietly. Suddenly, upon remembering something, Goggles looked at Flip.

"Is the fruit still safe?" he asked.

Flip looked down in her arms. It was...well, it looked kinda cooked. The stem was burnt off and the skin was no longer glossy, but it hadn't become mushy or anything. The only area that was mushy was the dented/bruised area, and even that didn't take up a lot of space on the fruit. As far as she was concerned, it was alright. She nodded confidently.

"Yup."

"That's a relief..." Prince smiled.

"In that case, you should get some rest. In the morning, you guys can get back to your home first thing," Takomorika said.

"But...what about Whisper and Angus? They're still under all those leaves after being attacked by those mutant wolf fish..." Nana asked.

"Don't worry. You all can rest at my garden, and I'll find them myself," Tako replied.

"Well...okay then."

Nana decided not to question further. If Takomorika could do it, she believed her. Besides, none of the squidbeak were really in adventuring condition anymore. They'd all worm themselves out. They needed rest.

Hachi shook Rider to get him up, and Rider opened his eyes as Hachi explained. Then the squidbeak and Takomorika made their way back with their little strength as they struggled to stay awake. The walk was very, very quiet, but the squidbeak had to stay alert for anything else. They also had to watch where they were stepping, so they wouldn't trip over something. When they finally reached the garden, they all got into the hut and laid down on the grassy bedding area Takomorika directed them to.

The last thing Nana saw before closing her eyes was Takomorika opening and closing the hut door, leaving to find Whisper and Angus.

-----

The next morning, the squidbeak woke up...bright and early, surprisingly. They all still smelled like smoke, but they could've cared less at the moment. They were surprised to find that Takomorika wasn't back yet, and waited a little for her. Rider and Emperor slept in some, but Nana sat up and waited with Flip and Hachi. They were currently discussing the plan of what to do when they got back to Inkopolis.

"So we head immediately to Octo Canyon, no stops anywhere else," Hachi said sternly.

Flip sighed. They'd reviewed this plan a couple of times, but every time Hachi said that, she felt herself getting annoyed a little bit more.

"But what if one of us gets thirsty or starts coughing up a storm, or-"

"They can split off with another person and go get what they need. Now that we have the fruit, we need to deliver it as soon as possible to the squid sisters, before something else winds up happening to it," Hachi insisted.

"I mean...alright. What do you think, Nana?"

"Whichever option is safest. We've been through a lot recently, and I just...we're so close to completing this mission, and now that Takomorika's problem is over, I want as little casualties as possible from here on out," Nana responded firmly.