Help My Happy

"Oi," There's his voice again. It's wonderful. "Do you like someone?" Ah. What was that? What did he say?
  I'm snapped out of my day dreaming at Gladion's not so subtle question. Did he ask me that? It was definitely his voice. I'd recognize it from anywhere.

  The platinum blonde furrows his brows and violently taps my school desk with his black painted fingernails. "Did you fucking hear me? Are you deaf?"
  Blinking at the teen in front of me, I smile, leaning back in my seat. "Ahh? And why should I tell you? Are you jealous?"

  "What? Hell no. People have just been spewing bullshit, and I wanted to check for myself." Gladion countered defensively, an edge to his tone that was sharper than usual. I nod, not really because I understand completely, but because I can sort of understand why he'd want to know the truth. Rumors could get pretty weird, after all.

  "So?" "Yeah yeah, gimme a second. I'm trying to think of the best way to explain this." Gladion sneers, "Don't think too hard, else your brain might implode." I laugh at that. It was mean, but I could tell when Gladion was making a joke.
  Others, not so much. It was weird to have explain to them that, no, it wasn't verbal abuse. In fact, I mess with him just as much, if not more.

  Gladion just has a different personality, and therefore, a different way to mess around. A more... brutal way, really. He only ever said things he thought people could take in stride, though. Luckily, I'm very good at that.

"Anyway," I continue, "I do like someone." Gladion's brows furrow, like he wasn't pleased with the answer. "Who is she?"
  "Ho ho, bold of you to assume after all the years you've known me that he's a girl." I laugh, clapping my hands together as Gladion- and the rest of the class- looks at me with eyes as wide as saucers.

  Immediately, the classroom spirals into chaos, the sudden noise of everyone's respective surprise wreaking havoc on mine and Gladion's ears. I smile an easy going smile and cover my ears while Gladion, enraged, opens his mouth to shout.

  "HEY! EVERYONE QUIET THE FUCK DOWN!" And they do.
  Gladion himself sighs and runs a hand through his blonde hair, and I watch it fall right back into place over one side of his face, concealing his eye. "Arceus.. why the hell would you say something like that?"

  "I mean, I wasn't exactly hiding it. It's just that nobody ever asked. Y'know?" I attempt to reason with him, but his entire face rings 'disbelief.' Like the concept of me being attracted to men was utterly fictional, a long forgotten fantasy. Immediately, I'm offended.

  "So. Is there something wrong with that, Gladion?" At my voice, Gladion freezes, and he almost looks scared. It's not an emotion I see often, and not an emotion easily distinguishable to anyone that isn't me, so my harsh tone drops and I back off.

  "Of fucking course not. I just figured I should have known by now, that's it." He's lying. I know he is, but not about not having a problem. He's lying about his explanation. Now, I wasn't stupid. I just lost my head for a moment. Of course Gladion didn't think anything was wrong with liking guys. After all, I knew he had a gargantuan crush on my dumbass for way too long.

I'd thought it was just a phase at first. He'd made googly eyes at every guy that provided eye candy, but I've gradually come to realize that, no, that wasn't it. It wasn't as easy as that.
  Gladion wasn't truly in love with anyone. He was just lonely, and I knew that his mindset had been 'If I date someone- anyone- I'll finally be happy.'

  I thought it was the same with me. I thought he'd be over me in a few weeks or less, but I was wrong. I make him happy. Gladion's said it himself, but he'd clearly displayed it as a platonic sort of way, even if it wasn't platonic at all.

  "Alright!" I beam, allowing the atmosphere to lighten, allowing Gladion to breathe again. I see the unmistakable, telltale bobbing of his throat when he finally gets to swallow some air again. I could control him like a puppet if I wanted to. Play him like a chess piece. But I don't.
  I'd never. I knew every inch of him, inside and out. Aside from physical touching, of course. I behave and keep my hands to myself. Mostly.

  Gladion crosses his arms, eyes averted. "So?" I know what he's asking, but I don't supply him with an answer he's looking for. I play dumb.
  "So?" I repeat back, making the blonde's lip jut out just slightly. I almost want to bite it. Gladion clicks his tongue and flicks my forehead, earning a whine from me, though I make it dramatic on purpose. "Hey! What was that for?"

  "You know exactly what I'm talking about." "Oh, you mean my crush? So forward of you, Gladion." "Fuck off. Spill." "Isn't it too embarrassing here?" "Don't pull that shit with me, you shameless bastard. Tell me."

  I'm standing now. I tower over the blonde in height, and I see him visibly tense as I stare down at him. I let my inner desires show in my eyes, but not my face. Gladion knows. He can see hungry eyes and an innocent smile, so he knows. But he doesn't say.

"I meant for you, Princess. I like you."

  And then the world is silent.
I'm not nervous. Far from it. But, as I knew would happen, Gladion is opening and closing his mouth like a Magikarp, face red as fire, skin hot like the sun.
  "P-Prin..-?! Are you TRYING to get on my fucking shit list?!" "Hm? Oh, no. Of course not, Princess. It's rude to keep an admirer waiting, though. Where's my answer?"

  The classroom is dead silent, save for Gladion's heartbeat, which I can hear very faintly drumming at the teen's insides if I listen hard enough. Or it's my own. I'm not sure anymore.
  "Fuck- I-" Gladion swiped his fingers through his hair, skin hot and flushed, and I suddenly want to cool him down. Ease him up. Make him relax. But I need to behave, so I wait.

  Gladion is silent for another couple of minutes before- reluctantly- he nods his head. The motion is stiff, but genuine. "Alright." "Alright?" "I- Fuck, you know what I mean." "I do."
  The blonde's nails are digging into his arms. Okay. No more teasing. Carefully, I pull him close, breathing out a relaxed sigh and setting my chin on his head. "So. Boyfriends?" "... B.. B-boy..friends.." Gladion mumbles timidly into my collarbone, giving another weak nod.

  I'd never seen a classroom go into so much chaos after that. Screaming and cheering, whooping, clapping, congratulatory yells. Everything Gladion doesn't want to hear right now. So, with a simple hum, I scoop him up and haul him out.

  I can't help but to think that, as Gladion kicks and punches me while I carry him, that I would have done this a long time ago if I'd known it would have been this easy.