Opposites Attract - Chapter Three

I walked through the quiet school halls. It was at least an hour after school closed, no one was supposed to be here anymore but Casey insisted to meet now instead of earlier. I mean, I guess I shouldn't complain. She is doing me a favor by meeting in secret, after all.

I went up to one of the janitors. She was an old otter who gave off a strong scent of flowers, just as Casey described. It's the first time I'm talking to someone like her. My dad would freak out if he knew. Honestly, that's probably the only time it seems he notices me since his girlfriend always keeps him busy. God, Vanessa deserves an award for being such an attention-seeking whore.

The janitor looked up and gave me a confused look. "What are you doing here, dear? The school closed down a long time ago."

I wasn't in the mood to talk much.

"You have the keys to the library, don't you? I need them. I'm meeting up with Casey and-"

"Oh, Casey!? That sweet little girl?" Her face seemed to light up when she heard her name. "Why didn't you say so before! Just follow me, I'll walk you there."

As we were walking, she decided to strike up a conversation with me.

Just my luck...

"It's so nice to finally see someone that's a friend of Casey's. She's such a doll! I don't understand why you kids are always so mean to her."

"Oh no, we're not friends. We have to do a project together. That's all I'm here for."

She chucked. "Not yet you're not. Trust me, Casey'll win you over before you even realize!"

...We'll see about that...

I know I think she's a nice person but I doubt we could ever be friends. I'm just here for this stupid project. Once that's over, it's all back to normal.

"Here we are. Just go on in and wait for her. She's probably working late again."

The janitor opened the door for me and shut it once I went inside. I turned the lights on.

The library's a grand place, I must admit. It's spacious and cozy. But it reminds me of home a little. I have a library back at my place, my mom adored books. It holds a lot of memories of back when things were perfect. In fact, I used to go there every day and cry during the first few months or so after my mom left. Dad never got rid of it either, I know a part of him was still attached to her. Maybe still is.

I don't like going there, anymore. It hurts too much.

I saw something lumpy in one of the isles. Actually, it seemed like one of those sleeping bags you'd bring when you'd go camping. Either way, it was odd seeing it there.

There was also a book on the ground. I sat down and opened it. Turns out it was a journal...

Casey's journal...

I don't wanna invade in her privacy, I'm not like Mike. But I was also a bit curious...After all, she said earlier she would write down her thoughts. I was kinda curious what she actually thought of us. We're all really mean to her so there's gotta be a lot of rants here...

Still, I shouldn't.

Just as I was about to close the book, I heard footsteps and panting.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry I'm late. There was just a long line tonight and there was only one other employee and then someone spilled their drink on someone else and they started to fight and-"

"Okay okay, calm down! I didn't ask for your damn life story."

"Sorry, it's just been a hectic night." her eyes trailed down to the book in my paws. "...Is that my diary?"