AmeGer - Happy Anniversary

Request by @Lolalita1372 for AmeGer

Most people didn't think that it was a normal combination. It shouldn't work out, their relationship; Alfred was naturally messy, Ludwig was clean, Alfred was loud and outgoing, Ludwig was generally more reserved (unless he had to yell at co-workers or rude customers), Alfred loved burgers and other American foods and couldn't cook at all while Ludwig preferred healthier foods and cooked quite well. They both had more masculine and muscular body types, and when people saw them together it just seemed wrong. They even both worked as mechanics, at two rival shops.

Nobody thought they would end up together, yet they were. And they had been going strong for five years now, since they met at a bar when Ludwig was twenty two and Alfred was twenty one. Today wasn't just any normal day though, it was their fifth anniversary.

Ludwig had worked hard for months in advance both so that he could take the day off to spend with his boyfriend, and so that he could make the day perfect. He'd made a plan to go to a lovely restaurant that cooked very nice steak and other meats (knowing that Alfred loved a good steak as much as he loved burgers), and even baked a cake for his boyfriend. He'd gotten the anniversary present, gotten up early to make an extra special breakfast, and when he brought the bacon, eggs and sausage sandwiches back in to their bedroom on a tray Alfred was out cold and sleeping once more. Ludwig had woken him up half an hour ago, but apparently Alfred had gone right back to sleep. This was normal, but it annoyed Ludwig to no end. Still, he was willing to be patient for that day.

He set the tray down on the bedside table, and then gently shook Alfred awake. "Guten Morgen, Alfie," he told him softly, his voice holding a tenderness he reserved only for his boyfriend (and on the extremely rare occasion his brother).

Alfred slowly woke up, groaning and moving to try and cuddle up to Ludwig. "Mhm, Luddy, come back and sleep, it's too early to be awake this early on a Saturday."

"Alfred, liebe, it's Friday."

Alfred jolted awake at that, pulling away from his attempts to snuggle up to the German and hurrying to his dresser to take out his work clothes. "You have work?" questioned Ludwig, a sinking feeling beginning to emerge in his stomach.

"Yeah, you don't? Nevermind, I just gotta get ready," Alfred replied, pulling up his work shorts over his boxers and chucking on his black work top. He didn't even take notice of his breakfast, and hurried downstairs before dashing out the door. He didn't take notice of what Ludwig was trying to tell him in his rush, and left the German behind. Ludwig sighed, returning upstairs and retrieving the tray to chuck out the food that Alfred hadn't eaten and clean up.

It didn't make sense, Alfred and him had agreed to take the day off together. Ludwig had made a few plans, and though he wouldn't need to reschedule anything he was still frustrated. He'd gotten food for that day to make lunch with, and had quite been looking forward to going to the park, having a picnic and playing some football (soccer) with him. It wasn't overly extravagant, but it would have been time spent with Alfred and he would have cherished it.

Alfred hadn't even mentioned anything about their anniversary, or not being able to spend time with Ludwig, and had just left. It was like he'd forgotten completely about him, and while Alfred was forgetful he wasn't that forgetful. They'd been talking about it just yesterday evening, for goodness sake.

And so that day, Ludwig cleaned up the house (which he'd been planning to do over the weekend). He did all of the clothes washing, picked up all the trash from Alfred's games room, mopped and vacuumed, partly because he had nothing better to do and partly because he was upset. Alfred and him occasionally had their misunderstandings, but it just had to be on their anniversary that the beginnings of one had happened.

The whole day he stayed at home, and by the time it was evening he was asleep on the couch, his three dogs curled up next to him. Alfred happened to think it was quite the adorable scene to come home to, and took a few pictures before moving to the kitchen. It was too clean, that morning there had been a slight mess that only ever went away when Ludwig cleaned. Alfred sighed, seeing the pristine state of the rest of the house and realising he'd not had a good idea after all. He'd spent the day preparing a place they could go to spend the evening, making sure it was perfect for his lover, but he didn't realise he'd made Ludwig that upset. Ludwig only ever cleaned on a day other than the designated Saturday if he was extremely upset, and Alfred knew that.

He moved over and sat on the edge of the couch, and similar to how he was woken that morning, woke up Ludwig. The German glanced up, yawning and frowning before looking down. "Look, I know that I messed up, love, and for ruining your plans, but I promise you I didn't just run off all day for nothing. I'm sorry for lying and saying I had work-"

He was cut off by a pair of lips brushing against his own, and a hand on his shoulder gently pulling him to come closer. "I just wanted to spend time with my boyfriend on my anniversary. I don't give a damn about you ruining my plans, I just wanted to be with you. But you ran off, and left me all alone all day. You didn't answer any calls or texts, and neither did anyone else. Do you know how worried I was! You could have been anywhere, Alfred, and I wouldn't have known, I was here thinking you'd forgotten me and went to work, and I know you're not that forgetful so I thought you left purposely." Ludwig's eyes held more vulnerability than Alfred had ever seen in them, the German opening himself up to his boyfriend. He couldn't hold it in after he'd been holding it in all day.

"I know, Lud, I know. I know sorry doesn't cut it, but truly, I'm sorry. I know I hurt you and I should have told you, but I just wanted to do something nice. I know I haven't spent much time with you lately but that's because I've been working overtime at work to try and prepare for this night. I wanted it to be perfect, but I should have seen that the only way it would be perfect was with you." Alfred cupped Ludwig's cheeks and gave him a gentle kiss, nuzzling their noses together when they pulled away. "Now stop looking so sad, honey, it doesn't suit your handsome face. Get dressed nicely, I have a surprise for you."

Ludwig blushed a bit at the last thing and nodded, getting off the couch and heading to their room. Alfred went off to their study, which confused him, but he didn't pay much mind to it as he went and got dressed into black dress pants, a white button up shirt, a grey suit jacket and red tie. By the time he had gelled his hair and come back down, Alfred was ready and had gotten dressed into a grey suit of his own.

Ludwig was blindfolded and lead to the car, where Alfred began driving him to places unknown. He trusted the other male, but it was still making him nervous since he had no clue what was in store, especially when Alfred was known for some rather... creative... dates and ideas.

When they arrived, Alfred would still not let him see what was going on, but he was greeted by the scent of grass, flowers and distinctly German food. He was lead around for a while until they reached the space and Alfred dropped the blindfold.

There was a table set up in front of him with his favourite German meal on the table, hot and ready to eat. The table was on a cliff overlooking a field of flowers, and it was majestic as the sun set, basking them in a golden glow. Fairy lights were wrapped around tree trunks and it was all simply beautiful. Ludwig turned to look at Alfred, who simply smiled and seated him. "Happy anniversary, Ludwig."