Chapter 4

It was my turn to sleep in the bed last night, so at least I got some rest. I told Luke to wake me up if he heard anything or if something happened, which he did- multiple times throughout the night- but it was never actually anything important. Either a tree branch tapping the roof or just the house settling. Each time he would just hang his head low in embarrassment and apologize for waking me up when there was clearly no need. I of course told him there was nothing to feel guilty about it; he was doing exactly what I told him to do. Although it would have been nice to get a good night's sleep after the long day yesterday. Luke and I seem to be getting more comfortable with each other's presence.

I wake up to the sun shining through the windows. I rub my eyes before I get up and put on my dark green and navy blue flannel that had been thrown on the floor. I put my hair into my usual braid so it's out of my face, although the shorter pieces always find a way to fall out. I put my boots on and walk out of the bedroom.

Luke looks up from where he's sitting on the sofa when he notices me entering and gives me a half-hearted smile, I return the gesture. I turn to the kitchen when I notice the animal control pole in the corner and get an idea.

"Luke I'm gonna head out for a bit and gather some stuff. You should get some rest." I say, grabbing the control pole and my bowie knife.

"Oh. Okay." He almost sounded disappointed.

*****

After I've got the loop of the pole around the walker's neck I'm able to lead it back to the cabin. I have him pushed against a tree so it's easier to hold him steady. I begin hacking at his arms until they fall off (which didn't take much effort) and then I completely cut his jaw out, making him unable to do any harm.

I loop the other side of the pole to a nearby tree branch to keep the walker from going anywhere. Once I make sure that he's secure I walk towards the front of the cabin and head inside. I open the bedroom door to find Luke sleeping peacefully on the mattress that is way too small for his long limbs. I find his grey hoodie on the floor and throw it at him and he groans.

"Wake up, I'm back." I walk over and sit on the side of the bed.

"How long have I been asleep?" He says looking up at me.

"Well I left about...two hours ago maybe?" I reply and he groans again putting his face back into the pillow.

"Can I sleep for a bit longer?" He mumbles.

"Nope. You start training today." I say with a smile and he looks up at me.

"Today? Really?" He says hopefully.

"Yup. Right now. Now get your ass up out of bed and when you're ready, come outside." I playfully push his shoulder and he sighs before finally getting up.

After about ten minutes I hear the door open and close behind me and I turn around.

"Take your jacket off, it will be easier. Oh, and you may want to roll up your sleeves" I say as he complies. I walk over to him and hand him one of my knives. He hesitantly takes it, showing his nervousness as I show him the correct way to hold it.

"Now I already told you, go for their brain. While using a knife is the easiest way to kill, it is the most dangerous because of how close you come to them. You have to keep away from their hands and mouths. It should be easy for you, because you're taller and have easier access to go straight to the skull. But you still need to know how to use tactical maneuvers to prevent yourself from getting scratched or bitten." I explain while visually showing him how to skillfully kill a walker. But when I put the blade to my head his face falls and he looks down.