Chapter 5

It's been about a week and a half since Luke and I began our journey back to my home town. We continued our training on the way; target practice, hunting for food, and taking out multiple groups of walkers. He's doing very well. And he's also not so horrible to have around so that's a plus.

I know where we are now, and we're not too far from our destination. It might take us a few more days maybe. The familiar surroundings put me at ease because I know where I'm going. But I haven't yet told Luke that where we're going is a place that I know all too well.

"Why couldn't we just stay at the cabin?" He asks, and I can tell he's growing more tired as he drags his feet.

"Because we need more ammo and I know a place where we can find some. And living in the woods for long periods of time isn't a smart idea when you're unable to see everything around you."

"Well can we at least talk or something? I might actually die of all this silence." He says. The whole apocalypse thing hasn't exactly improved my skills with conversation.

"And what do you suggest we talk about Luke?" I say a little more sarcastic than I intended.

"I don't know (y/n), I mean we have spent the past three and half weeks together, and will most likely be spending a lot more. Maybe we could actually get to know one another." I raise an eyebrow at him. "Okay you can ask me a question about myself and I'll answer and then I'll do the same. It doesn't have to be anything deep, you obviously don't want to talk about that stuff." He responds.

"Okay, and what kind of questions would we ask?"

"Well to start, what's your favorite color?"

"Luke, seriously?"

"Look I'm trying here, just answer the damn question." He laughs and I roll my eyes.

"Purple."

"See that wasn't so hard." He nudges my arm.

"What's yours?"

"Blue. Now you ask me."

"Okay," I think for a moment. "Favorite artist?"

"Blink 182" he smiles. "You?"

"Lana Del Rey."

"Hm, wasn't expecting that one. Favorite movie?" He asks

"Anchorman."

"You're kidding! That's my favorite!" He says excitedly, making me giggle.

"Any hidden talents?" I ask.

"Well I could sing and play guitar, but I wasn't so secretive about it. My parents always use to get noise complaints when I would have my band over."

"You had a band?"

"Yeah, it was never anything serious. Just me and my friends goofing around with cover songs. What about you? Any hidden talents?"

"Not really, no." I say.

"I find that hard to believe." He says. We continue on with our little question game for the rest of our walk. We got further than I expected. We should reach our destination by tomorrow. But for now, we have to rest for the night.

We wake early the next morning to continue our journey. It wasn't long before we crossed the border of my hometown. When we finally reached my old street I feel my chest tighten. It looks just how I left it, only more....empty. I walk up to my house and go in through the garage door, finding where my parents used to hide the house key. My breath hitches in my throat as I unlock the door. I nod at Luke, making sure he is ready before I go inside; us both holding our weapons, ready to attack. We walk from room to room- upstairs, downstairs, basement. All clear.