Chapter Five

9:35 P.M. Outside the Venue (Wes)

            “Hey can I get a picture?” a petite girl wearing a white tank-top and denim shorts asked me. We were standing outside the venue right after the show; a group of girls had formed around me and each of the other band members.

            “Yeah, sure!” I piped up and put my arm around her while smiling at the iPhone pointed towards us.

            “Awesome, thanks. Oh, I wanted to give you this!” she suddenly remembered and reached into her tribal print bag, searching for something. She pulled out a folded yellow piece of paper and handed it to me. “This is for you; I just wanted to thank you for everything you’ve done so I wrote you a letter.”

            “Wow, thank you,” I gave her a hug and tucked the letter in my back pocket. “You’re the reason our band keeps on going,” I whispered in her ear and she grinned.

            “I’ve got to go, but I will hopefully see you soon,” she said reluctantly and bit her lip.

            “For sure, thanks again!” I called after her as she walked away with her group of friends.

            Damn. That’s when it hits me. That everything we’re doing isn’t for nothing. These people make us keep on moving along, no matter what stands in our way. Knowing that we have such great dedicated fans is one of the best feelings ever. It’s as soothing and calming as laying back home in bed in Tennessee. I honestly don’t know what I would do without them. What we as a band, would do without them, I thought as I glanced around the block and saw the entire band talking and interacting with all the fans. It was just incredible. Despite what people may think, we’re just five humble guys who love making music for others to enjoy.

            The rest of my night consisted of signing a bunch of CD’s and taking pictures. The sea of faces soon disappeared a little after midnight and I found myself yawning. We stayed until each and every fan got a picture, autograph, and a conversation. I forgot to mention our fans like to bring us gifts-just like the girl who gave me a letter at the beginning. By the end of it, I had a grocery bag full of a package of double stuff Oreos (my personal favorite), a Starbucks gift card, a bag of Kit-Kats, a box of cupcakes, and miscellaneous letters and artwork stacked neatly on top. Wow. Just wow.

            I walked around the building and to the back, where our van was still parked in the same spot as when we’d arrived. Just as I had predicted, all the guys were sitting inside with the doors open, probably scarfing what candy they’d received down. “What’d you get?” our bassist, Chris, inquired as I hopped inside the passenger seat.

            I opened up the bag and showed him inside.

            “You got the jackpot again, dang!” Tony, the drummer, exclaimed.

            I wasn’t surprised that I’d gotten the most things. Not to sound cocky or anything, but that’s how it usually goes. I don’t know why exactly, and I never like to brag about it, either.

            “The ladies just love him a little too much,” Jason waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

            “Oh, good grief,” I muttered under my breath and set my bag of goodies down.

            The conversation about my presents quickly dispersed and my mind drifted back to Miranda. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her all night. Sure, it was dark as hell in there, but she was always there, snapping pictures right in front of me. She was definitely a lot different than other girls I’ve met before, but I didn’t know what else to think of her. And why should I be thinking of her, anyway? I probably won’t see her again, it shouldn’t matter. Not going to lie, I was a little bit disappointed at the thought of this. After all, she’d intrigued me and talked as if I were a normal human being. In fact, she reminded me of-

            No, I couldn’t possibly refer Miranda to her.

            I shook my head at the thought of this. I barely even knew Miranda, but there were still little things that reminded me of her. For instance, her warm, friendly smile, her dark wavy hair that always seems to fall right in place, and her eyes. Those wicked blue eyes. Maybe our encounter actually meant something. All that I knew was that I was going to have to wait and find out.

---Excuse the sappiness at the end and the shortness of the chapter, but I knew I had to add this in somewhere. Don't worry though, every once in awhile I have to come up with a shorter chapter but then I'll go back to something more lengthy. Anyway, thank you guys for all the great feedback on the last chapter, and don't forget to keep voting! Thanks