2 | Out of the Box [CE]

👑 𝐂 𝐎 𝐍 𝐓 𝐄 𝐒 𝐓 𝐄 𝐍 𝐓 𝐑 𝐘 👑

Contest 4 - Book Cover Recreation

Hosted by: welldamnqueen

Due: October 2, 2019 | Delivered: October 1, 2019

Type of Graphic: Cover

No. of Entries: 1

• • •

𝚃 𝙸 𝚃 𝙻 𝙴
Out of the Box

𝙰 𝚄 𝚃 𝙷 𝙾 𝚁
Suzanne Dudley

𝙿 𝙻 𝙾 𝚃
Christina Dudley's honest and courageous book recounts her experience living with-and journey out of-domestic violence. This book will speak to anyone who grew up trying to be "good"-high achieving and competent-and then who found themselves boxed in, slowly eroded, broken, and struggling.

This book will provide readers with a living map of how one such woman made it out, re-writing her life from the inside out.

• • •

𝐂 𝐎 𝐍 𝐓 𝐄 𝐒 𝐓 𝐑 𝐄 𝐒 𝐔 𝐋 𝐓 👑
🥇 1st place

𝙲 𝙾 𝙼 𝙼 𝙴 𝙽 𝚃 𝚂
I must admit, I wasn't ecstatic when I was assigned the cover I had to recreate. It was too simple and had no interesting element-upon first glance-that I could use to inspire my recreation. Nevertheless, I decided to just pull it together and deliver something. My approach to this design was to reproduce the same title and background style, but change a few elements in order to make it pop out more. Reading the summary of the book helped me a lot in forming a vivid idea for the graphic.

I chose a slightly different colour scheme focused on the colours blue and purple. I really liked the butterfly in the original design, so I decided to incorporate that in the recreation. I felt like the glass dome didn't really fit in. I saw no point of it being there, therefore, I replaced it with a box. The lid is slightly open producing light emanating from the little crack. The butterflies emerge from the tiny crack, flying around in freedom.

The whole design, in its entirety, symbolises a person overcoming obstacles that they encounter in life. For example, the box can represent oppression, depression, or other societal/personal problems that may inhibit someone from attaining freedom. Then, the tiny crack represents hope and the butterflies demonstrate the person's perseverance. That is how I interpreted it, keeping the context of the book in mind. I hope you liked it, if not then I totally understand. I hardly tried with this one because it's not my kinda style.

May we meet again.