Alfie Solomons x Reader 'It's late, shouldnt you be sleeping?'

Hey guys, another upload because I'm bored and have nothing to do at work. Hope you enjoy and please feel free to request!😊

-----------------

It was midnight when the phone rang. With slumped shoulders and half lidded eyes, you made your way over to the phone on the desk and answered.

'Hello?' you asked cautiously. Very few people had knowledge of the telephone in your home and even less had reason to call you at this time of night.

'It's late, shouldn't you be asleep?' Alfie's voice echoed through the phone. A shiver went down your spine and you smiled gently to yourself, pulling the chair out from the table and taking a seat by the phone.

'Ah, yes, I should. But I have only very recently come home from work, and I have tried to sleep, but it evades me' you reply, resting your head on your hand and blowing gently on the candle infront of you and watching as it flickered. You hear the groan as Alfie stretches on the other end of the line and then his voice is clearer.

'Sounds like there must be something on your mind and it's keeping you awake, sweetheart' he speaks, his voice low and you feel a flutter in your stomach at his use of a pet name.

'Either that, or it could have something to do with the phone ringing just as I had settled down' you retort, humour clear in your voice.

'You dint 'ave to answer' Alfie quips and you roll your eyes.

'I'm a registered nurse Alfie, usually, the only reason my phone rings at this time of night is because I am needed at the hospital, or because my brother is drunk again and his wife is crying. And both of those require me to answer the phone' you finish, a yawn falling from your lips. You hear Alfie let out a sigh.

'Your brother still not learned how to handle his drink then?' he asks gently, knowing that this was a difficult subject and being thankful that you felt comfortable to even bring it up with him. You rub your forehead.

'Will he ever?' you ask rhetorically and Alfie hums in response.

'You can't keep letting him rely on you though Y/N. He will drag you down with him'.

'Yes well, that's entirely on me isn't it' you reply curtly and Alfie takes the hint.

There is a moments silence and you hear a door open and muffled talking in the background before Alfie shouts a few choice swear words.

'Well Y/N, it would appear that I now have to let you go to sleep as I'm needed. Will you be in tomorrow?' you can hear him trying to cover the hope in his voice, his tone trying to convey business despite you knowing that you have nothing to do with his business. You smile.

'Perhaps' your tone light and teasing. Alfie huffs and you giggle slightly.

'Goodbye Alfie' you say and hear him repeat your words as you hang up the phone and head to bed.

---------------------

It had been an awful morning at the hospital. You were meant to finish at midday and had ended up working an extra 2 hours due to an influx of men who had been rioting. Broken bones and bloody noses had occupied most of your morning and so you had decided to head straight home instead of shopping like you normally would on a Friday afternoon. You decided you would do that tomorrow on your day off. Right now, you needed a hot cup of tea, a nice book, and to be curled up in your arm chair away from the shrieking and loud chanting of people.