Training Begins

Elizabeth

Eric and I stand side by side as we wait for the others to jump. Many of the initiates are afraid to stand near Eric, but I stand my ground.

"You must be a favorite of his if he's letting you stand that close." Someone scoffs.

Two people walk up to me and Eric, and they stand directly in front of us. One is a girl who looks to be only a year older than me, her brunette hair tied back in a ponytail. The man standing beside her is not quite the same height as Eric, but he towers over me and the girl. His hair is jet black and cut short.

"Four! Tris! How nice of you two to show up." Eric speaks with venom in his words as he stares at the two.

"Hi! I'm Tris. I was apart of last year's initiates. I transferred from Abnegation." The girl, Tris, holds her hand out to me.

I merely stare at her. "Eli. I'd prefer you didn't touch me. I don't really care about you or about where you transfered from."

It takes one simple movement from Eric for me to get a slap in the back of my head. I hiss in pain and look at him, but his eyes are on the two in front of us. I look at them and see that the man is glaring at me.

"It's alright, Four. She didn't mean anything about it. You didn't have to hit her, Eric." Tris scowls.

"She knows why I did it." Eric snaps.

I roll my eyes. "You can't beat the Candor out of me, Eric."

"I can if I try hard enough."

~

The Dauntless initiation starts with knife, gun, and hand to hand combat training. The initiates all train together, so Dauntless-born and transfers stand in a crowd. Eric, Four, and a woman named Lauren are our instructors.

"The next three days will be intense. You're going to learn how to fight, and the fourth and fifth day of your training will be one on one matches so we can see if you've improved and what you have learned." Eric says.

The three make sure each of us has a punching bag to ourselves. Four demonstrates a few of the basic moves someone can do, and we all begin to work. Eric hovers in my area, his eyes on other initiates but his body closer to me.

"You are being very obvious that you're fixated on me, Eric, even if you're not looking at me." I say, flinching as one of my knuckles starts bleeding.

"Shut it, or I'll lay you flat on your back."

"Like you could even lift me up off the ground."

"I can do it with one hand behind my back."

I laugh, and Eric suddenly looks at me. His blue green eyes hold an emotion I don't recognize. He turns his hold body toward me, and I back away when he starts walking toward me.

"No, Eric! Don't touch me!" I scream.

I back up against a wall, and I feel ten times smaller than I really am as he stalks up to me. His arm snakes around me too quickly for me to get away, and I let out a noise if fear as he lifts me off of the floor. Everyone in the room has their eyes on us.

"E-Eric! Put me down!" I plead.

"I told you I could pick you up with one arm. You surprisingly don't weigh much." He says as he puts me down.

I hit his arm before going back to my punching bag.

~

"First jumper! To the ring! Last jumper, you too."