Getting Started

Elizabeth

Waking up in Eric's small apartment room is a stark contrast to waking up in the initiate dorms. His arms are locked around me, and a very small amount of light floods in from the crack underneath the doorway leading to the hall. I have to carefully move his arm, and he growls in his sleep as I sit up. I stretch, my back and shoulders popping just as I stand up.

"Where do you think you're going?"

His voice is soft and groggy, and he is gentle when he grabs my wrist. I look at him and smile as I brush his hand away.

"You know I start my leader training today." I mutter. "I have to get dressed."

"I'm the one training you, and there's nothing to do today."

"We can't stay in bed all day, Eric. As much as I'd like to, I actually want to learn everything I can about being a leader."

"Training you brats took a lot out of me. Can't we just forget about training for a day?"

"You can stay in bed all day if you want to. I'll go ask Max for training."

He takes a deep breath before he gets out of bed, and I giggle as he snatches a clean shirt from the nightstand. I lean into him when he wraps his arms around me, and he gently presses his lips to my cheek.

"Let's go, Shortie. We've got to get in the cafeteria before all the hooligans wake up." He mutters.

I giggle, and we both get ready for the day. He decides to wear a more casual outfit instead of his usual get up, wearing black jeans and pulled on a black t-shirt. I skip along beside him as we head to the cafeteria, Eric's hand keeping a tight grip on my own so I'd stay beside him. He looks at me when I stop in the doorway.

"Something wrong?" He asks, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm used to sitting at the initiate's tables. I don't know anyone here." I whisper.

"That may be true, but you're with me. I'll make sure no one messes with you."

He pulls me forward, and we both stand in line to get breakfast. I argue with him for a few minutes after he pays for our food, and he leads me to a table of people I hardly recognize. I instantly recognize Max, Four, and Tris.

"Good morning, Eli." Max has a soft smile on his face.

"Good morning." I return the greeting as I sit down.

Eric places our trays down on the table, and I silently eat while I listen to him and Max speak.

"There seems to be a problem regarding medical care." Max says. "The nurses aren't able to properly remove bullets from wounds without injuring people further."

"We'll have to find someone who's able to remove bullets correctly then." Eric replies, taking a bite of his french toast.

"I can do it." I mutter.

Both men look at me, and I can see Four hold back a chuckle as I lower my head. Max raises an eyebrow as I continue to eat as if I hadn't said a thing.

"You think you can teach the nurses how to remove bullets?" He asks.

"I removed the bullets from Eric's legs just fine." I shrug, taking a bite of my pancakes. "I don't have to be the one to do it. I'm sure there's someone older with more experience."

The two men quickly change the subject, almost forgetting entirely that I spoke. I look at Tris when she snickers, and Four looks at her as well.

"You thought they were going to agree with you, didn't you?" She laughs.